Re: [agile-usability] Re: incremental design -vs- overall user experience

    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 14, 2004
      Hello, everyone. Thanks for setting this up, Jeff!

      On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 09:23, Brian O'Byrne wrote:
      > I don't agree that the interaction design concern has to go
      > _everywhere_. On the second of the two projects I mentioned there was
      > a real n-tiered architecture and were very definitely two teams, one
      > for the problem domain and one for the UI.
      > The PD team followed a very traditional methodology and wrote service
      > code that could be used by many different UIs. They concerned
      > themselves with the business model, persistence and most of the
      > technology, exposing APIs for the UI team to use.

      Your point is well taken, but I think you're selling APIs a little
      short. APIs, after all, are interfaces for programmers. When I'm
      building an API, I ask myself a lot of the same questions that I do when
      building a more traditional UI. Who will be using it? What are they
      trying to accomplish? How can I make common things easy? How can I make
      dangerous things hard?

      This is most important when you're building APIs for broad use, of
      course. EBay and Amazon have APIs used by thousands; Microsoft and Sun
      sell APIs used by millions. For these, it's obvious that investment in
      usability pays off. But even intra-company, inter-team APIs are worth
      effort to make them usable. I've seen companies where internal APIs with
      no thought of programmer usability cost tens or hundreds of thousands of
      dollars in wasted effort on other teams.

      So I'd agree that a team building internal code need not be particularly
      skilled in building GUIs. But I do think they should be relentless in
      focusing on the usability of their creations, always keeping in mind
      their users and, by proxy, the real users that the system is being built

    • katharina9267
      Message 38 of 38 , May 30, 2007

        This is without a doubt an issue that I came across in my experience
        as a usability manager.

        Do you suggest that this work should be done in iteration 0 using the
        agile methodology? This seems to be increasingly a recommendation in
        a number of white papers and publications such as Scott Ambler.
        However, when you say 'minimal effort' how does this translate into
        time scales - is there an average that you work with in your
        experience let's say 1-2 weeks?

        I also appreciate, if you could forward the pdfs on the collaborative
        UI review method that you mentioned in a previous message.
        Many thanks,

        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Constantine"