RE: [agile-usability] Re: are you making efficient designs?

    Message 1 of 341 , Feb 1, 2007
      > * The "Triple Bottom Line" (Financial, Social, and Environmental
      benefits) from Asset
      > Management
      > * The "Public Value Proposition" (Financial, Political, Social,
      Strategic, Ideological,
      > Stewardship benefits), from the Center for Technology in Government,
      University at Albany,
      > SUNY, 2006)
      > * Persuasion and Influencing through the Value Chain
      (Individual, Department, Function,
      > Company, Customer benefits), from www.womensleadership.com)
      > * Branding criteria (Physical, Cognitive, Emotional, Relational,
      Personal,
      > Interpersonal, Organizational, Global), from www.albendesign.com

      Excellent points. I guess I have been brainwashed into corporate-think
      over the years.

      At the same time, all the things you mention above fall in the category
      of what I would call bottom-line "business" objectives of the
      organisation. I have difficulty imagining how a software system could
      fill any such bottom-line business objectives without being deployed and
      used. So moving quickly and steadily towards a deployed and useful
      system is still one of the most important thing in a software project.

      > One of my big "ahas" recently was to realize that a project I was
      working on got bogged
      > down because I failed to address the program manager's needs as
      described in the persuasion
      > criteria above

      In the context of a software project, I know of no better way to
      persuade stakeholders and upper management than to show rapid and steady
      progress towards a system that can be deployed and impact bottom-line
      business objectives.

      Of course people at various levels of the project and the organisation
      may have all kinds of needs. But if those needs cannot be tied in a
      pretty obvious way to bottom-line business objectives, they are probably
      needs that you should not worry about.

      A friend of mine told me a story about a particularly pathological PM he
      once worked for. At one point, he (my friend) inadvertently overheard a
      phone conversation between the PM and his wife. In that conversation,
      the PM was saying that he really needed to hire more programmers in his
      team in order to increase the number of people under his supervision and
      boost his career. This is not the kind of needs you want to cater to.

      Alain
    • Alexander Johannesen
      Message 341 of 341 , Feb 23, 2007
        On 2/23/07, Robert Hoekman, Jr. <rhoekmanjr@...> wrote:
        > Without any hard feelings intended, the best thing I could do here is to simply
        > stop engaging in this conversation. I'm sorry if this bothers you, but this list is
        > simply not what I hoped it would be, and I believe I need to explore my
        > interests elsewhere.

        I just got back from another planet, it seems, so pardon me for asking
        dumb questions, but what *did* you expect? I myself do a lot of agile
        UX (note, small 'a'; there is no Agile) and I'm on this list, so I'm
        curious about your "Great Wall of Agile on this list"; what is it?

        Sure, a lot of people have *their* meaning of Agile and their way of
        doing things, and as you say, that's ok. Do you feel some people
        advocate only one way of Agile, perhaps a tad too much? That their
        passion is getting in the way of pragmatism?

        Regards,

        Alex
        Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchymist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps