Re: [agile-usability] Re: are you making efficient designs?

  • Mark Schraad
    Message 1 of 341 , Feb 1, 2007
      On Thursday, February 01, 2007, at 02:29PM, "William Pietri" <william@...> wrote:
      >Mark Schraad wrote:
      >>> For the purposes of this discussion, I'd fold them differently. I'd call
      >>> the first four "more money". The last, "potential for more money". It's
      >>> very important to consider both kinds of value when selecting stories,
      >>> and I've seen projects founder for leaning too far either way.
      >>>

      >> Not so much. Money (I can only assume you mean profit?) is not promised through any of these. They can all lead to more profit, but that is not what this is about. Profit is most often a result of resource allocation, not success.
      >>

      >Well, extracting profit is one thing you can do with more money. From
      >the story selection perspective, that's not what I care much about.
      >Perhaps a better way to put the two kinds of value is that the first is
      >what my bookkeeper would call a win, while the other kind she would be
      >more suspicious of.
      >
      >For example, if I'm working on an ad-supported web site and I build some
      >sort of viral adoption feature that increases traffic, that strikes me
      >as the former: a bigger check at the end of the month from Google is
      >demonstrably increased value. Or if I cut our bandwidth charges by half,
      >again, we have easily proved business value.
      >
      >But if you look at, say, Netflix, a lot of their development is not
      >meant to immediately affect revenue. Instead, the goal is to buy
      >information about their users. That information is a valuable asset, but
      >probably not justifiable in a let's-sell-this-document-to-somebody
      >perspective. A bookkeeper would be suspicious, and a visionary would be
      >thrilled. Successful businesses generally require balancing both
      >perspectives.
      >

      >William

      Not trying to bludgen this conversations with the details, but, we are talking two different contexts of value. In the original thread, the conversation was oriented towards the value retained by the organization. And to that point Jared's five points were absolutely correct.

      In the transactional case there is a different measure of value that comes with "currency". If we site William's example of a Netflix site visitor, or even a small contractor working for a large client, there a multiple currencies available: knowledge, money, finacial credit, brand loyalty, experience, a great case study, reputation, etc.

      Mark
    • Alexander Johannesen
      Message 341 of 341 , Feb 23, 2007
        On 2/23/07, Robert Hoekman, Jr. <rhoekmanjr@...> wrote:
        > Without any hard feelings intended, the best thing I could do here is to simply
        > stop engaging in this conversation. I'm sorry if this bothers you, but this list is
        > simply not what I hoped it would be, and I believe I need to explore my
        > interests elsewhere.

        I just got back from another planet, it seems, so pardon me for asking
        dumb questions, but what *did* you expect? I myself do a lot of agile
        UX (note, small 'a'; there is no Agile) and I'm on this list, so I'm
        curious about your "Great Wall of Agile on this list"; what is it?

        Sure, a lot of people have *their* meaning of Agile and their way of
        doing things, and as you say, that's ok. Do you feel some people
        advocate only one way of Agile, perhaps a tad too much? That their
        passion is getting in the way of pragmatism?

        Regards,

        Alex
        Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchymist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps