RE: [agile-usability] Re: are you making efficient designs?

  • Anita Salem
    Message 1 of 341 , Feb 1, 2007
      Adrian Howard said:
      "And of course, there are many projects where people use, partially or wholly, other value metrics..."
      "Is this something you cooked up, or is a well-recognized list in business?"

      Jared's five metrics are a fine portrayal of financial goals, but in my opinion do not go far enough.  The majority of the work I do with my clients is uncovering financial and other "value metrics".  Half the battle is in measurable success criteria but the other half of the battle is in positioning your efforts within the context of the organization. This includes persuasion, and leadership issues. Maybe I see this more because I do a lot of work with organizations that have a broader definition of success than just financial.  In work I've done with non-profits, utilities, and with internal usage applications the metrics go beyond the money.  Some examples of value metrics I've used with different clients:
      * The "Triple Bottom Line" (Financial, Social, and Environmental benefits) from Asset Management
      * The "Public Value Proposition" (Financial, Political, Social, Strategic, Ideological, Stewardship benefits), from the Center for Technology in Government, University at Albany, SUNY, 2006)
      * Persuasion and Influencing through the Value Chain (Individual, Department, Function, Company, Customer benefits), from www.womensleadership.com)
      * Branding criteria (Physical, Cognitive, Emotional, Relational, Personal, Interpersonal, Organizational, Global), from www.albendesign.com

      Financials are good, but I think we can too easily forget the organizational impacts of our work.  One of my big "ahas" recently was to realize that a project I was working on got bogged down because I failed to address the program manager's needs as described in the persuasion criteria above--I went straight to customer benefits without ever addressing the more personal benefits that would have persuaded her to commit adequate resources to the project.  I guess this goes a bit beyond just the development of software, but thus goes my life :-)

      Anita

      SalemSystems Inc.

      customer-driven product development

      www.salemsystems.com

      Aptos, CA
      (831) 277-6616

    • Alexander Johannesen
      Message 341 of 341 , Feb 23, 2007
        On 2/23/07, Robert Hoekman, Jr. <rhoekmanjr@...> wrote:
        > Without any hard feelings intended, the best thing I could do here is to simply
        > stop engaging in this conversation. I'm sorry if this bothers you, but this list is
        > simply not what I hoped it would be, and I believe I need to explore my
        > interests elsewhere.

        I just got back from another planet, it seems, so pardon me for asking
        dumb questions, but what *did* you expect? I myself do a lot of agile
        UX (note, small 'a'; there is no Agile) and I'm on this list, so I'm
        curious about your "Great Wall of Agile on this list"; what is it?

        Sure, a lot of people have *their* meaning of Agile and their way of
        doing things, and as you say, that's ok. Do you feel some people
        advocate only one way of Agile, perhaps a tad too much? That their
        passion is getting in the way of pragmatism?

        Regards,

        Alex
        Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchymist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps