Re: [agile-usability] Re: are you making efficient designs?

  • Brian Marick
    Message 1 of 341 , Feb 1, 2007
      On Feb 1, 2007, at 8:54 AM, Desilets, Alain wrote:

      > That's my whole point. Always know what the bottom line end goal
      > is, and
      > always do that which, at the moment, contributes most to movign
      > towards
      > that goal.

      If I were smart enough to do that, I'd be smart enough to build
      software without all this iteration and feedback and stuff.

      > But you have to be able to justify (to yourself
      > and to managers) why that detour SEEMS like the shortest route to a
      > deployed useful system (which is usually the end goal).
      > [My emphasis]

      The "seems" is the important bit. "Seems" means we could be wrong.
      The chance of being wrong suggests buying insurance: spending money
      to turn a possibly big cost into a manageable one. Investing in the
      team (its knowledge, etc.) is insurance, even if whatever you're
      buying has no predictable realized value.

      Or: the problem with Econ 101 is the assumptions (perfect knowledge,
      etc.). You have to (I'm told) get to the later classes before you
      learn about how very approximate the assumptions are.

      Or: consider current golden boy Apple. Look at the iPod. Is it the
      case that somewhere back in time, some person justified the shuffle
      feature by saying, "Just wait - when keychain drives get cheap
      enough, we'll be able to exploit this feature to sell a teensy music
      product without any way to select music?" Or was it the case that
      someone realized what unplanned-for potential meant when the time was
      right? If the latter, was there not realized (but not guaranteed)
      business value from investing in a sort of generic, fuzzy, and
      unquantifiable potential within the product and organization?

      -----
      Brian Marick, independent consultant
      www.exampler.com, www.testing.com/cgi-bin/blog

      -----
      Brian Marick, independent consultant
      www.exampler.com, www.testing.com/cgi-bin/blog
    • Alexander Johannesen
      Message 341 of 341 , Feb 23, 2007
        On 2/23/07, Robert Hoekman, Jr. <rhoekmanjr@...> wrote:
        > Without any hard feelings intended, the best thing I could do here is to simply
        > stop engaging in this conversation. I'm sorry if this bothers you, but this list is
        > simply not what I hoped it would be, and I believe I need to explore my
        > interests elsewhere.

        I just got back from another planet, it seems, so pardon me for asking
        dumb questions, but what *did* you expect? I myself do a lot of agile
        UX (note, small 'a'; there is no Agile) and I'm on this list, so I'm
        curious about your "Great Wall of Agile on this list"; what is it?

        Sure, a lot of people have *their* meaning of Agile and their way of
        doing things, and as you say, that's ok. Do you feel some people
        advocate only one way of Agile, perhaps a tad too much? That their
        passion is getting in the way of pragmatism?

        Regards,

        Alex
        Project Wrangler, SOA, Information Alchymist, UX, RESTafarian, Topic Maps