Re: [agile-usability] The "P" word

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2007
      On 16 Dec 2006, at 14:44, Jon Kern wrote:

      > the connection is...
      >
      > Some folks who "get" usability can arrive at a good UI design 10 times
      > more quickly than another, or maybe the good design is never
      > arrived at.
      >
      > And the client of said result may be none the wiser?
      >
      > How do you measure the goodness of the UI and the ROI of the effort to
      > get there?

      Actually - that's something that's become harder now that I work in
      more agile environments.

      In my pre-agile days my usability work mostly consisted of working
      separately from the development team - doing analysis work, or
      critiquing existing systems. In those cases it's fairly easy to see
      the effect of UI improvements since they're implemented in a separate
      process.

      For example if you redesign the UI of a search engine and it gets x10
      more usage - it's fairly easy to show that you've made an improvement.

      Now that the usability work I do is /much/ more integrated with the
      general development process it's much harder to separate it out and
      note what particular elements of UI work give the ROI.

      I wonder if this is one of the reasons some usability folk dislike
      agile methods. They're special sauce becomes less obvious...

      Curiously enough this doesn't appear to matter to the people I work
      with, since they're interested in the ROI of the product as a whole :-)

      Adrian
    • Tim Wright
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2007
        Hi Adrian,

        I'm assuming you mean "their" instead of "they're". Somehow I doubt that usability folk are special sauce...

        (usually I wouldn't bother replying, but found this one quite amusing:)

        Tim

        --
        Kei te kōrero tiki au. Kei te kōrero tiki koe. Ka kōrero tiki tāua. Kōrero ai tiki tāua.
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2007
          On 4 Jan 2007, at 21:36, Tim Wright wrote:

          > Hi Adrian,
          >
          > I'm assuming you mean "their" instead of "they're". Somehow I doubt
          > that usability folk are special sauce...
          >
          > (usually I wouldn't bother replying, but found this one quite
          > amusing:)

          <hangs head in shame>

          :-)