Re: [agile-usability] Getting started

  • June Kim
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
      2006/12/14, Brian Marick <marick@...>:

      > On Dec 12, 2006, at 9:03 AM, Adrian Howard wrote:
      >
      > > The only thing I've come across that's explicitly talking about
      > > usability issues in an agile environment is a few chapters in
      > > 37Signals "Getting Real" - but that's very much focused on web
      > > development in a pretty narrow context.
      >
      > I'd certainly add Jeff Patton's papers at
      > <http://agileproductdesign.com/writing/index.html>
      > He has a chapter (?) in Cockburn's _Crystal Clear_, which I have not
      > read. Jeff: does it contain material beyond what's on your website?
      >
      > -----
      > Brian Marick, independent consultant
      > Mostly on agile methods with a testing slant
      > www.exampler.com, www.testing.com/cgi-bin/blog

      When it comes to the explicit intersection between usability and agile
      there aren't many resources.

      As I remember, Jeff is writing a book on that intersectional subject.

      Mostly papers and general usability books(which Adrian has already
      recommended several of) have been great resources to me.

      Search in the agile/xp conference materials. For example, Lynn's paper
      at http://www.agile2005.org/XR19.pdf is often cited here.
    • June Kim
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
        I second this recommendation.

        Karen Holtzblatt recently visited Korea (with Don Norman) for an open
        lecture. She was very confident of her way of doing work.

        I like RCD and I have applied it to web projects along with Lynn's
        parallel track method. RCD fits well with agile(there is even an
        chapter for applying RCD in agile environments).

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
          On 13 Dec 2006, at 16:12, June Kim wrote:
          [snip]
          > Search in the agile/xp conference materials. For example, Lynn's paper
          > at http://www.agile2005.org/XR19.pdf is often cited here.
          [snip]

          There's an agile-toolkit podcast with Lynn, Jeff & Rebecca Wirfs-
          Brock that's worth a listen too:

          http://agiletoolkit.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=15584

          Adrian
        • Jared M. Spool
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 14, 2006
            On Dec 12, 2006, at 10:03 AM, Adrian Howard wrote:

            > * Paper Prototyping, by Francis Snyder

            As far as I know, she prefers to be called Carolyn. (Only her closest
            friends call her Francis. :) )

            Jared
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 15, 2006
              On 14 Dec 2006, at 22:56, Jared M. Spool wrote:

              > On Dec 12, 2006, at 10:03 AM, Adrian Howard wrote:
              >
              >> * Paper Prototyping, by Francis Snyder
              >
              > As far as I know, she prefers to be called Carolyn. (Only her closest
              > friends call her Francis. :) )

              Goodness knows where that came from - brain obviously taking a
              holiday. My bad.