Getting started

  • Brian Marick
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 11, 2006
      I was recently in a phone conference with two of my main client's
      managers-responsible-for-usability. That was despite my protestations
      that I was totally unqualified to have opinions about (1) how Agile
      projects should make use of user experience experts and (2) what
      would be a good transition path from up-front-design toward iteration-
      by-iteration design.

      During the conversation, I had a thought. In my world, the testing
      world, someone asking those questions on agile-
      testing@yahoogroups.com usually gets pointed to two books (_Testing
      Extreme Programming_, and _Fit for Software Development_) and a
      somewhat patchy list of links here: <http://www.testing.com/agile/>

      Perhaps we could assemble such a list. Someone - oh, perhaps someone
      who newly started blogging - could maintain that list at a URL.

      What do you tell newbies to read?

      -----
      Brian Marick, independent consultant
      www.exampler.com, www.testing.com/cgi-bin/blog
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 12, 2006
        On 11 Dec 2006, at 18:31, Brian Marick wrote:

        > I was recently in a phone conference with two of my main client's
        > managers-responsible-for-usability. That was despite my protestations
        > that I was totally unqualified to have opinions about (1) how Agile
        > projects should make use of user experience experts and (2) what
        > would be a good transition path from up-front-design toward iteration-
        > by-iteration design.
        >
        > During the conversation, I had a thought. In my world, the testing
        > world, someone asking those questions on agile-
        > testing@yahoogroups.com usually gets pointed to two books (_Testing
        > Extreme Programming_, and _Fit for Software Development_) and a
        > somewhat patchy list of links here: <http://www.testing.com/agile/>

        Unfortunately I don't think there are books that are as directly
        applicable to agile ux work as those are to agile testing.... oh for
        some spare time and a vague approximation of writing talent :-)

        The only thing I've come across that's explicitly talking about
        usability issues in an agile environment is a few chapters in
        37Signals "Getting Real" - but that's very much focused on web
        development in a pretty narrow context.

        > What do you tell newbies to read?

        General:

        * The Psychology of Everyday Things, Don Norman
        * Interaction Design: Beyond Human-Computer Interaction by Jenny
        Preece, Yvonne Rogers, Helen Sharp (bias warning - I used to work in
        the same building as Yvonne many years back, but I still think it's a
        darn fine book :-)
        * Jesse James Garrett's The Elements of User Experience
        * Software For Use, Constantine & Lockwood

        Books on specific practices:

        * Handbook of Usability Testing, Rubin (and oldie but a goodie)
        * The User Is Always Right, by Steve Mulder & Ziv Yaar (on Persona -
        web focused, but most of the material is pretty general)
        * The Persona Lifecycle, by John Pruitt, Tamara Adlin
        * Designing Interfaces, Jenifer Tidwell (an UI "patterns" book)
        * Paper Prototyping, by Francis Snyder

        If it's somebody who already "gets" agile I'd also recommend:

        * The Inmates are running the asylum, Cooper
        * About Face 2.0, Cooper & Reimann

        (I like both of these books, but the language Cooper uses about
        developers will, I imagine, annoy people in agile groups quite a bit.
        The problems identified are spot on. The solution proposed is a very
        un-agile approach in my opinion - but they're still well worth reading.)

      • Brian Marick
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
          On Dec 12, 2006, at 9:03 AM, Adrian Howard wrote:

          > The only thing I've come across that's explicitly talking about
          > usability issues in an agile environment is a few chapters in
          > 37Signals "Getting Real" - but that's very much focused on web
          > development in a pretty narrow context.

          I'd certainly add Jeff Patton's papers at
          <http://agileproductdesign.com/writing/index.html>
          He has a chapter (?) in Cockburn's _Crystal Clear_, which I have not
          read. Jeff: does it contain material beyond what's on your website?

          -----
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
            On 13 Dec 2006, at 15:35, Brian Marick wrote:

            > On Dec 12, 2006, at 9:03 AM, Adrian Howard wrote:
            >
            >> The only thing I've come across that's explicitly talking about
            >> usability issues in an agile environment is a few chapters in
            >> 37Signals "Getting Real" - but that's very much focused on web
            >> development in a pretty narrow context.
            >
            > I'd certainly add Jeff Patton's papers at
            > <http://agileproductdesign.com/writing/index.html>
            > He has a chapter (?) in Cockburn's _Crystal Clear_, which I have not
            > read. Jeff: does it contain material beyond what's on your website?

            Good point. And Jeff's new blog too.

            (I was fixated on paper books for some reason - sorry)

            I've a whole bunch of stuff bookmarked in delicious under http://
            del.icio.us/adrianh/agile+ux - although some of that may only make
            sense when filtered through my brain :)

            Adrian
          • david broschinsky
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
              This is more for the upfront end of the process than the back end.
              Holtzblatt, Wendell, and Wood wrote "Rapid Contextual Design" about
              trying to fit user research and contextual design into an agile process.

              daveb

              Adrian Howard wrote:
              > On 11 Dec 2006, at 18:31, Brian Marick wrote:
              >

              >> I was recently in a phone conference with two of my main client's
              >> managers-responsible-for-usability. That was despite my protestations
              >> that I was totally unqualified to have opinions about (1) how Agile
              >> projects should make use of user experience experts and (2) what
              >> would be a good transition path from up-front-design toward iteration-
              >> by-iteration design.
              >>
              >> During the conversation, I had a thought. In my world, the testing
              >> world, someone asking those questions on agile-
              >> testing@yahoogroups.com usually gets pointed to two books (_Testing
              >> Extreme Programming_, and _Fit for Software Development_) and a
              >> somewhat patchy list of links here: <http://www.testing.com/agile/>

            • June Kim
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
                2006/12/14, Brian Marick <marick@...>:

                > On Dec 12, 2006, at 9:03 AM, Adrian Howard wrote:
                >
                > > The only thing I've come across that's explicitly talking about
                > > usability issues in an agile environment is a few chapters in
                > > 37Signals "Getting Real" - but that's very much focused on web
                > > development in a pretty narrow context.
                >
                > I'd certainly add Jeff Patton's papers at
                > <http://agileproductdesign.com/writing/index.html>
                > He has a chapter (?) in Cockburn's _Crystal Clear_, which I have not
                > read. Jeff: does it contain material beyond what's on your website?
                >
                > -----
                > Brian Marick, independent consultant
                > Mostly on agile methods with a testing slant
                > www.exampler.com, www.testing.com/cgi-bin/blog

                When it comes to the explicit intersection between usability and agile
                there aren't many resources.

                As I remember, Jeff is writing a book on that intersectional subject.

                Mostly papers and general usability books(which Adrian has already
                recommended several of) have been great resources to me.

                Search in the agile/xp conference materials. For example, Lynn's paper
                at http://www.agile2005.org/XR19.pdf is often cited here.
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
                  On 13 Dec 2006, at 16:11, david broschinsky wrote:

                  > This is more for the upfront end of the process than the back end.
                  > Holtzblatt, Wendell, and Wood wrote "Rapid Contextual Design" about
                  > trying to fit user research and contextual design into an agile
                  > process.

                  Thanks! Not come across this before - another one for my Amazon wish
                  list :-)

                  Adrian
                • June Kim
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
                    I second this recommendation.

                    Karen Holtzblatt recently visited Korea (with Don Norman) for an open
                    lecture. She was very confident of her way of doing work.

                    I like RCD and I have applied it to web projects along with Lynn's
                    parallel track method. RCD fits well with agile(there is even an
                    chapter for applying RCD in agile environments).

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 13, 2006
                      On 13 Dec 2006, at 16:12, June Kim wrote:
                      [snip]
                      > Search in the agile/xp conference materials. For example, Lynn's paper
                      > at http://www.agile2005.org/XR19.pdf is often cited here.
                      [snip]

                      There's an agile-toolkit podcast with Lynn, Jeff & Rebecca Wirfs-
                      Brock that's worth a listen too:

                      http://agiletoolkit.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=15584

                      Adrian
                    • Jared M. Spool
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 14, 2006
                        On Dec 12, 2006, at 10:03 AM, Adrian Howard wrote:

                        > * Paper Prototyping, by Francis Snyder

                        As far as I know, she prefers to be called Carolyn. (Only her closest
                        friends call her Francis. :) )

                        Jared
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 15, 2006
                          On 14 Dec 2006, at 22:56, Jared M. Spool wrote:

                          > On Dec 12, 2006, at 10:03 AM, Adrian Howard wrote:
                          >
                          >> * Paper Prototyping, by Francis Snyder
                          >
                          > As far as I know, she prefers to be called Carolyn. (Only her closest
                          > friends call her Francis. :) )

                          Goodness knows where that came from - brain obviously taking a
                          holiday. My bad.