Re: [agile-usability] Prototyping with WPF and XAML vs. HTML

  • June Kim
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2006
      I don't think I'm the right person to answer your question but I think
      my experience is somehow related to the problem you are mentioning.

      HTML and CSS is good for middle-fidelity prototypes, for my case. When
      I needed higher fidelity I used javascript and DHTML and implemented
      some mock dynamic behaviours. The turn-around time is quite short.

      I also tried XUL. It was about two years ago. There was a high cost in
      climbing up the learning curve, particularly due to the lack of
      experience and proper documentation. In addition to that, there were
      hidden pitfalls, like undiscovered bugs and etc. We used to google all
      day long to solve problems.

      Recently I used Python and wxWindows (wxPython) for rapid
      high-fidelity prototyping tool. That was very pleasing. What could've
      taken a week for us to do in other options could be done in ten
      minutes.

      After learning many lessons from all those experiences and quest for
      the-right-prototyping-tool, I keep in mind the danger in chasing
      high-fidelity prototypes and value lo-fi protos even higher than
      before. After all, all protos are wastes(in the sense of Lean), aren't
      they?

      Watching Robert Rodriguez' DVDs helped me challenging my old beliefs.