Where can I shop for usability experts?

  • acyment
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2006
      Hi everyone out there! I'm currently designing a team that will have
      to build an off-the-shelf application. I don't have much knowledge on
      usability, but I intuitively consider it crucial to have some expert
      on that field inside the team. I have asked to the HR person in the
      company to go hire someone, but she said she hadn't ever heard the
      term "usability" before. The company is located in Costa Rica, which
      makes a simple post on Monster not very realistic an approach. Do you
      know of any usability group in Costa Rica? Should I look for a
      graphical designer specialized in that field? A computer scientist?
      Neither? Both? Have you had any experience with "usability consulting"
      offshoring?

      Thanks in advance for your help,
      Alan
    • SusRobson@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2006
        Hi Alan,

        It's possible you might find some people here:

        I see some people from Brazil so you may have luck if someone from Costa Rica participated.

        I'm part of the Usability Professionals' Association so you may even try our International web site.

        Best of luck. If those don't help you out, let me know.

        Susie

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2006
          Alan,

          A good place to look for usability support is on the UPA's Consultant Directory, http://www.upassoc.org/people_pages/consultants_directory/index.html.

          One thing to be careful of. Usability is not graphic design. Although some graphic designers are quite competent with regard to usability, many are not. Also, there are many good usability people who are not good at graphic design. Also, a few good usability people are good computer scientists but not all are and many computer scientists are not proficient in usability engineering.

          Is the product being developed with English or Spanish as the base language? If the latter, you would probably want a consultant who is fluent in Spanish.

          Cheers,
          jon

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 4, 2006
            You could post a call to the Discuss list hosted by
            the Interaction Design Association. See www.ixda.org.

            You could also post a call to the CHI-JOBS list.

            Finally, SIG-IA has an active mailing list, and you
            could do worse than posting there.

            The alphabet soup of names and acronyms in this field
            is quite remarkable. One place to start sorting them
            out is at http://www.uxnet.org/organizations.php. The
            User Experience Network is dedicated to bringing
            together people who do "user experience" work,
            regardless of the acronym by which they identify.

            Good luck!

            JS