Re: [agile-usability] Who is using multiple personae for one job role?

    Message 1 of 41 , Nov 27, 2006
      Hi Jon,

      On 27 Nov 2006, at 17:50, Jon Meads wrote:

      > I would say that JimTheEagerHobbyPhotographer is a different role than
      > MarthaTheSeventyYearOldGrandma. I view roles as identifying
      > responsibilities, objectives, and goals and persona as identifying
      > human
      > chararacteristics that will affect interpretation and behavior. Jim
      > and
      > Martha have different goals. That would put them into different
      > roles for
      > me - which means they are likely to have different task priority..

      I think I understand the distinction that you're drawing between
      roles and persona. However don't you tend to end up between a one-to-
      one relationship between roles and persona? If so I'm not sure I see
      the utility in separating the concepts... but this may well be me
      being dim.

      Adrian
    • Josh Seiden
      Message 41 of 41 , Dec 1, 2006
        > > With corporate software, there is an existing
        > > structure that groups people by function,
        > > education, and those introduce a minimal amount
        > > of uniformity (again, I'm not saying that
        > > individual differences don't exist within
        > > a same work unit... Just saying that there
        > > is a bit more uniformity there).

        > Look closely at anything and uniformity disappears.
        > ( http://
        > www.despair.com/individuality.html )

        I do find that I use personas less often in the
        enterprise and more often in the consumer world, but I
        would attribute this to the relative "horizontal-ness"
        of the system under consideration, rather than the
        "enterprise-ness" of system.

        When you have a very vertical application in the
        enterprise context, roles can go a long way and are
        often a good enough model to use--especially when
        combined with feedback from actual users.

        But when the system is more horizontal--a phone system
        perhaps--personas become more useful because the role
        "phone user" doesn't get you very far.

        I agree with Jared that the closer you look, the less
        uniformity you have. Thus "horizontal-ness" is
        something of an artificial distinction. If are
        motivated to look at any vertically-defined role
        closely enough, if you spend enough money and time,
        you can make a vertical role as horizontal as you
        would like.

        So what determines "horizontal-ness?" I would argue
        that (in terms of deciding whether you use personas as
        a design tool) you consider both the intrinsic
        differences of behavior and motivation, but also the
        extrinsic factors: namely the relative value of
        investigating those differences on any given project,
        and the relative motivation of the client to pay for
        that value.

        JS