Re: [agile-usability] how would design practice change if we focused on frequent

  • PaulOldfield1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2006
      (responding to Jeff)

      size=2>One of the concerns about agile development is that the user

      experience might change too often, and that users hate that.  I'd

      submit users had bad changes, and don't mind good changes.

      Recently I've been thinking of User Experience as a topic such
      as Architecture, that needs to be treated in a similar way.
      If there is a consistent 'Vision' underpinning the user interface
      and their experience of using the system, then changes are
      consistent with what they already know, and will tend to be
      improvements.  Where the 'Vision' needs to be changed, then
      users will feel more disruption, and I'd expect this to be
      explained to them - why the changes are so fundamental,
      and why the new unifying vision is better than it was before.

      In the case that there isn't this unifying vision, the changes
      experienced by the user are likely to be more disruptive, chaotic,
      arbitrary and / or inconsistent.  I don't think this is something
      we should be forcing our users to live with.

      Paul Oldfield.

    • Bruce Esrig
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 28, 2006
        Here's an up-to-date URL for the ComputerWorld article about eBay and
        gradual changes:
        http://www.computerworld.com/developmenttopics/websitemgmt/story/0,10801,60997,00.html

        It shows up first if you search on Google using "eBay Laura Borns".

        Best wishes,

        Bruce Esrig