References on Activity Theory, Activity Analysis, Activity Centred Design?

  • Jason Yip
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2006
      I'm looking into Activity Analysis but I'm really not sure what the
      best references are.

      Are there any introductory Web resources with an example or two available?

      None of the books I've found are in the local libraries or book stores
      and I'm loathe to order any from Amazon until I have a better idea
      which ones are good. Even Amazon doesn't have many reviews.
    • Larry Constantine
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006
        Jason,

        I would start with:

        Engeström, Y., Miettinen, R. & Punamäki, R-L. (Eds.) (1999). Perspectives on
        Activity Theory. Cambridge University Press.
        Gay, G. & Hembrooke, H. (2004) Activity-Centered Design. MIT Press.
        Nardi, B. (ed.) (1996) Context and Consciousness. MIT Press.

        I am also emailing you a copy of my paper on activity modeling.

        --Larry Constantine, IDSA [mailto:lconstantine@...]
        Director, Laboratory for Usage-centered Software Engineering (Lab-USE)
        Professor, Department of Mathematics & Engineering
        University of Madeira, Funchal, Portugal
          Chief Scientist, Constantine & Lockwood, Ltd.

      • Jason Yip
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2006

          How about Acting with Technology?

          http://tinyurl.com/hm63v

          --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Constantine"
          <lconstantine@...> wrote:

          > Jason,
          >
          > I would start with:
          >
          > Engeström, Y., Miettinen, R. & Punamäki, R-L. (Eds.) (1999).
          Perspectives on
          > Activity Theory. Cambridge University Press.
          > Gay, G. & Hembrooke, H. (2004) Activity-Centered Design. MIT Press.
          > Nardi, B. (ed.) (1996) Context and Consciousness. MIT Press.
          >
          > I am also emailing you a copy of my paper on activity modeling.
          >
          > --Larry Constantine, IDSA [mailto:lconstantine@...]
          > Director, Laboratory for Usage-centered Software Engineering (Lab-USE)
          > Professor, Department of Mathematics & Engineering
          > University of Madeira, Funchal, Portugal
          > Chief Scientist, Constantine & Lockwood, Ltd.

        • stefan.blomkvist
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 14, 2006
            Hi Jason,
            I wrote a course paper on the subject Activity-theory and Personas a
            few years ago. I have recently updated the article and it is published
            here:
            http://www.it.uu.se/research/publications/reports/2006-049/

            There is a short introduction to activity-there, and some references to
            soures on the subject.

            //Stefan