Re: Agile IDEs?

  • Carl Zetie
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 21, 2006
      "Ilja Preuss">>>
      The Eclipse developers obviously thought that it might be a good idea,
      because you can configure to do something that quite close.

      Not too surprising, taking into account that Eclipse is the successor of
      Visual Age for Java, which quite closely resembled a Smalltalk
      environment (probably modeled after Visual Age for Smalltalk) - to the
      point that it didn't use files to store the source code.
      <<<

      Yes, many of the same indviduals who created VA SmallTalk went on to build VA Java and ultimately Eclipse, retaining and refining many of their best design concepts along the way.

      In fact, if memory serves VA Java was not only modeled after VA SmallTalk, it was actually written in VA SmallTalk (in its earliest versions).

      However, I also remember that VA Java's class-centric approach (contrasted with other IDE's file-centric approach) tended to generate polar responses: many people who were used to a traditional file-centric approach  (which makes a lot more sense in a language like C, with its Includes and Defines) or coming to Java from a trad 3GL background (C, Fortran, Pascal...) found it made the learning curve steeper, and meant it took longer to get past the point where the IDE was a hindrance not a help. On the other hand, the (sadly, smaller) population coming from SmallTalk and similar backgrounds found it very natural.

      Again if memory serves, IBM eventually had to bow to market pressure and the preferences of the majority and adopt in its WSAD line the file-centric approach -- but the class-centric approach lived on in the minds of the creators of Eclipse.

      ***PLEASE NOTE: this is my personal, possibly unreliable, memory of events that I lived through. Your Memory May Differ. This in no way whatsoever represents my employer's official position or any kind of official history of VA or Eclipse!

      --
      View my personal blog at TheCzarDictates.blogspot.com

      The contents of this message represent the
      personal opinion of Carl Zetie and do not
      reflect the opinions of his employer
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 21, 2006
        > Again if memory serves, IBM eventually had to bow to market pressure and the
        > preferences of the majority and adopt in its WSAD line the file-centric approach --
        > but the class-centric approach lived on in the minds of the creators of Eclipse.

        Here's a question for this community. Was bowing to market pressure a good thing or not in this particular case?

        ----
        Alain Désilets, MASc
        Agent de recherches/Research Officer

        alain.desilets@...