Re: [agile-usability] Re: Communication channels in agile

  • Mishkin Berteig
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 19 11:15 AM
      Actually, I do think that pure outsourcing like you are talking about here is less difficult than a split team.  Again, with anyone remote, time zones become a large factor.  If you can have a remote customer who is willing to be constantly available during the times you are actually working, this is obviously better because it eliminates the bulk of the communication cycle time.  There are still problems with the richness of the communication channels.  All joking aside, things like body language just don't communicate as well over video as they do when two people are standing/sitting side-by-side.  That body language is actually a very large component of our communications and helps particularly in making sure that there is real alignment in two people's perceptions.  Sometimes we can use the same language as someone else, but mean completely different things.  This situation is easier to avoid if you can actually see people's body language.

      Mishkin.

      acyment <acyment@...> wrote:
      That's really good advice...and what would you call remotely
      developing a product for an overseas customer? Almost all the team is
      in Argentina, except for the actual customer...would that be a
      mixture? Wouldn't communication channels be minimized in that case?
      What if this remote customer were available all the time, but through
      videoconference? Wouldn't that be sort of an on-site customer?

      Cheers,
      Alan

      --- In agile-usability@ yahoogroups. com, Mishkin Berteig <mishkin@... >
      wrote:

      > There is one way to develop software for a global market that does
      not require you to work with a distributed team: web-based products.

      > You can use agile methods (like Google, Ebay, Yahoo!) to deliver a
      stream of constantly improving software to the web. In this case, you
      need to have a person who understands your users and can act as an
      on-site customer representative.

      > You don't need any special tools because your development team
      could all be together (in Argentina, for example).