yeah Ron! - good example of UI guidelines

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2004
      Ron Vutpakdi gave a talk titled "Too much usability" at the UPA
      conference this year. One of the big points that stuck in my mind
      was the notion that usability people couldn't police developers or
      other parts of the organization - they were way too outnumbered.
      the usability people had to figure out how to support instead. In
      particular, the poster his group made showing some usability
      guidelines I though was really great. It was great for a few
      reasons: it was a poster - an information radiator
      (http://c2.com/cgi-bin/wiki?InformationRadiator). It gave negative
      examples, in a fun Dogbert-ish sort of way - "if you want to piss
      people off, here's how." It gave remedies - not just problems. It
      didn't preach or lecture - it supported in an entertaining way. It
      seemed a great example of how the usability group changes its
      posture from policeing to supporting.

      Look at the evil Dug poster here:
      http://f6.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/AGUOQfwF0bOMjtFUS1tDOmSwTSairhcFHXYsfYZe
      61TGVtUfZ_LV_2e3ZT1sCTSEyEwnyiU_ngb_1jLNMQSOmQ/Vutpakdi%20Examples%
      26Presentation/TopTenWaysAnnoyUsers_Public.pdf

      Take a look at all Ron's stuff here:
      20Examples%26Presentation/

      There's a lot more usefull information on adapting usability groups
      to agile environments there. I'm just giving what stuck in my mind.

      thanks,

      -Jeff
    • Ron Vutpakdi
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2004
        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Patton" <jpatton@a...>
        wrote:
        > Take a look at all Ron's stuff here:
        > 20Examples%26Presentation/

        Another way to get to these files is just to go to the "Files" section
        (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-usability/files/) and then look
        in the Vutpakdi Expamples&Presentation folder.

        My talk at the 2004 UPA conference is the PowerPoint file. The notes
        on each slide contain considerably more text than the actual slides.

        The Evil DUG poster is something that was created specifically for
        Landmark to educate developers, get buy in from usability, QM, and
        support folks (since I surveyed them for the top ten ways to annoy
        users), and publicize our usability site (DUG). I don't expect that
        you'll be able to use the DUG poster as is (since Landmark's top ten
        ways may not be applicable for you), but the idea may be helpful.

        The DUG Tip Sheet examples are examples of the 1 page tip sheets that
        get periodically released.

        Ron
      • Jon Kern
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2004
          okay... my download of the ppt files is roaring along at 0.7 KB/sec.

          reminds me of when i was in my russian apartment on an old hayes modem and pulse dial!

          geesh!

          -- jon