New Podcast: The SpoolCast

  • Jared M. Spool
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6 7:13 PM
      [ Sorry for any duplicates -- Jared ]

      Greetings,

      I go to 20+ conferences a year and while many of the conferences have
      excellent programs, I often find myself learning the most from the
      after-hours activities. Often, these activities happen in bars, with a
      group of like-minded, extremely bright people. No specific agenda is
      on the table, yet somehow, the conversation turns out to be fun,
      thought provoking, and interesting.

      Inspired by some excellent podcasts I listen to regularly, I thought
      we could reproduce the fascinating discourse I've experienced at these
      non-official conference events for everyone's benefit. I contacted
      some folks who I thought would make great conversation and, to my
      surprise, they all jumped at the chance to partake in our little
      experiment.

      From this was born the first SpoolCast. It's a 90-minute recording of
      fascinating conversation on topics of user experience, usability, and
      design.

      Joining me for the first SpoolCast are:

      + DeWayne Purdy from the University of Northern Iowa
      + Kyle Pero from UsableInterface.com
      + Lyle Kantrovich from Human Factors International
      + Rashmi Sinha from Uzanto
      + Nate Bolt from Bolt|Peters

      In this inaugural recording, we discuss:

      + What can we learn from the new Brown University web site?
      + What does it mean to be usable?
      + Why is MySpace so successful?
      + Which is better designed, the new Brown Web Site or Craigslist?
      + How important is the design of a home page? (I think not so much.
      Everyone else disagrees.)
      + The value of social networking
      + The UPA Body of Knowledge project
      + The design experience, as it applies to conference design

      I've divided the recording into four parts, to make it easier to
      listen to during your commute or while you're out doing errands.
      (Alternatively, you can just listen on your computer.)

      The first part of the SpoolCast is available at
      http://tinyurl.com/qe3ks

      The other parts are available in the Brain Sparks Audio Library:
      http://www.uie.com/audio

      The transcript for this first session is available at
      http://tinyurl.com/fydka

      If you use an RSS reader or iTunes, you can subscribe to our podcast
      feed: http://www.uie.com/podcast/ (This way you'll be notified when
      future SpoolCasts are available.)

      I hope you enjoy listening as much as we enjoyed recording it.

      Jared M. Spool
      Gang Leader, SpoolCast Crew