Re: [agile-usability] Back button accounts for 40% of browser actions?

  • Cory Foy
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 4, 2006
      Jared M. Spool wrote:
      > Historically, self reported behavioral data, such as this, is exceptionally
      > unreliable. I'm willing to bet, if we were to actually log your browser
      > actions, we'd find this statement to be false. Just a hunch. What one
      > perceives they do and what they actually do are often two very different
      > things.

      Yes. In fact, I'd be open to such a logging thing. I wonder how
      difficult it would be.

      I do know that I often close windows many times more than I go back, for
      the simple reason that if there is any indication that I'd want to go
      back to where I was, I open it in a new tab.

      > With all due respect, I'm thinking you're at least two standard deviations
      > off the mean. ;-)

      This is something else I think we both agree on. I offered the example
      because, while it is important to consider the back button (especially
      in today's AJAXified world of web apps), don't forget those of us who
      want to not have to use the back button at all.

      --
      Cory Foy
      http://www.cornetdesign.com