Re: [agile-usability] Tools for photo-realistic wireframe prototyping

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1 7:45 AM
      Desilets, Alain wrote:
      > I need to produce a photo-realistic wireframe prototype.
      >
      > What tools do you use to produce those?

      Prototype of what, Alain?

      I also don't understand the use of "wireframe" and "photo-realistic"
      together. At least with the designers I work with, a wireframe is a
      low-fidelity imitation of the real thing. E.g.:

      http://www.openinterface.ie/prototype/proto_wire.html

      Allegedly, this term comes from sculpture, where you use a wire frame as
      a skeleton:

      http://www.grokdotcom.com/wireframing.htm

      But I suspect in our industry this comes out of the 3D graphics world:

      http://www.bergen.org/AAST/ComputerAnimation/Graph_Rendering.html

      Could you explain a little more what you're looking for?

    • Josh Seiden
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1 7:45 AM
        I assume you want to work to pixel-level accuracy,
        rather than working at a sketchier level.

        I find that Fireworks is an excellent tool for this.
        It combines good (not great) bitmap editing with good
        (not great) vector editing--so in a sense it's like a
        sweet spot Photoshop+Illustrator.

        The killer feature for prototyping is what Fireworks
        calls "frames." Frames were originally designed to
        allow you to produce simple animated GIFS. But,
        because you can share drawing layers across frames,
        you can produce a UI drawing and manipulate its state
        fairly easily (with each frame representing one
        state.)

        Fireworks also lets you turn objects into "symbols",
        which makes them re-usable. Changing one instance of a
        symbol changes it globally. This makes it easy to
        change the names and appearances or UI elements.

        There was a good discussion of this on the IxDA
        Discuss list last month. Here's a link into the
        archive:

        http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/discuss-interactiondesigners.com/2006-August/011057.html

        Note that this tool won't produce a finished
        prototype--just the static images of each state.
        You'll need something to wire them together. I
        sometimes use Axure (www.axure.com) for this, though
        others use Dreamweaver or something more open-ended.

        JS

        --- "Desilets, Alain" <alain.desilets@...>
        wrote:

        > I need to produce a photo-realistic wireframe
        > prototype.
        >
        > What tools do you use to produce those?
        >
        > Thx
        >
        > Alain

      • Fred Beecher
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1 7:53 AM
          On 9/1/06, Desilets, Alain <alain.desilets@...> wrote:
          > I need to produce a photo-realistic wireframe prototype.
          >
          > What tools do you use to produce those?

          You mean a photo-realistic prototype? Because photo-realistic and
          wireframe cancel each other out. For photo-realistic prototypes, it's
          usually a combination of Dreamweaver & Photoshop. I'm not big on
          prototyping like this though... I prefer prototyping from (decidedly
          NON-photorealistic) wireframes with Axure, a tool which, I think, has
          a lot of potential for facilitating UCD in an Agile environment
          (http://www.axure.com/)

          - Fred
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1 7:58 AM
            Desilets, Alain wrote:
            > I need to produce a photo-realistic wireframe prototype.
            >
            > What tools do you use to produce those?

            Prototype of what, Alain?

            -- Alain:
            A special purpose editor designed for translators.
            ----

            I also don't understand the use of "wireframe" and "photo-realistic"
            together. At least with the designers I work with, a wireframe is a
            low-fidelity imitation of the real thing. E.g.:

            http://www.openinterface.ie/prototype/proto_wire.html

            Allegedly, this term comes from sculpture, where you use a wire frame as

            a skeleton:

            http://www.grokdotcom.com/wireframing.htm

            But I suspect in our industry this comes out of the 3D graphics world:

            http://www.bergen.org/AAST/ComputerAnimation/Graph_Rendering.html

            Could you explain a little more what you're looking for?

            -- Alain:
            I must admit, I was using the term wireframe prototype without really
            knowing what it refered to ;-).

            I mean something that looks like a real GUI, but is just a plain
            drawing, without any functionality behind it.
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1 8:04 AM
              I assume you want to work to pixel-level accuracy,
              rather than working at a sketchier level.

              -- Alain:
              Actually, as I think of this more, this is really what I need:

              - The mockup must be in electronic form
              - The mockup must be "neat" (i.e. neater than a free-hand drawing), but
              does not have to be photo-realistic. It just has to look professional,
              and clearly communicate what the real thing looks like and how it works.
              - The mockup must be easy to modify
              ----

              I find that Fireworks is an excellent tool for this.
              It combines good (not great) bitmap editing with good
              (not great) vector editing--so in a sense it's like a
              sweet spot Photoshop+Illustrator.

              -- Alain:
              Sounds good.
              ----

              The killer feature for prototyping is what Fireworks
              calls "frames." Frames were originally designed to
              allow you to produce simple animated GIFS. But,
              because you can share drawing layers across frames,
              you can produce a UI drawing and manipulate its state
              fairly easily (with each frame representing one
              state.)

              -- Alain:
              I don't think I'll need animation capabilities.
              ----

              Fireworks also lets you turn objects into "symbols",
              which makes them re-usable. Changing one instance of a
              symbol changes it globally. This makes it easy to
              change the names and appearances or UI elements.

              -- Alain:
              Sounds good. Presumably some people have already created symbols for
              commonly used GUI elements?
              ----

              There was a good discussion of this on the IxDA
              Discuss list last month. Here's a link into the
              archive:

              http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/discuss-interactiondesigners.c
              om/2006-August/011057.html

              -- Alain:
              Thx. I'll look at that.
              ----

              Note that this tool won't produce a finished
              prototype--just the static images of each state.
              You'll need something to wire them together. I
              sometimes use Axure (www.axure.com) for this, though
              others use Dreamweaver or something more open-ended.

              -- Alain:
              Sounds like what I need.
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1 8:15 AM
                Desilets, Alain wrote:
                > -- Alain:
                > A special purpose editor designed for translators.
                > ----

                Great. I gather this is a web app or a desktop app, then, rather than a
                physical object.

                > I must admit, I was using the term wireframe prototype without really
                > knowing what it refered to ;-).
                >
                > I mean something that looks like a real GUI, but is just a plain
                > drawing, without any functionality behind it.

                Heh. My pals use Photoshop for this, but perhaps that's because when
                they got started that was the only real option. I see from Fred and Josh
                there are other options that are task-specific and probably a lot more
                novice-friendly.

                If it will turn into a physical object, I hear great things about
                SketchUp. My brother, who makes furniture, raves about using it to do
                prototypes for clients. For novices, it's radically easier to use than
                the other 3D tools I have tried. And you can't beat the price.

                William
              • Josh Seiden
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 1 8:16 AM
                  -- Alain:
                  Actually, as I think of this more, this is really what
                  I need:

                  - The mockup must be in electronic form
                  - The mockup must be "neat" (i.e. neater than a
                  free-hand drawing), but
                  does not have to be photo-realistic. It just has to
                  look professional,
                  and clearly communicate what the real thing looks like
                  and how it
                  works.
                  - The mockup must be easy to modify
                  ----

                  Josh:
                  Looking at this list, I think there is some tension
                  between "neat" and "communicate what the real thing
                  looks like." These are not the same.

                  If you want it to look neat, try axure, powerpoint,
                  visio. If you want it to look finished, try Fireworks,
                  Illustrator, Photoshop. (Although you can produce
                  sketchy looking work in this second category of
                  software, it's tempting to spend a lot of twiddly time
                  on appearance with these tools.)

                  -- Alain:
                  I don't think I'll need animation capabilities.
                  ----

                  Josh: Just to clarify--the frames enable animation,
                  but they also enable a lot of other goodness. For
                  interaction design, they allow you to manage
                  multi-state drawings, which few tools do at all (and
                  none do well IMHO.)

                  JS
                • Fredrik Matheson
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 1 8:17 AM
                    I usually lay out a huge sheet in Illustrator (10.000 x 10.000 pixels) with a gray background and create screen flows with fairly realistic mockups of the design. The huge size means I don't run out of space and can show lots of concurrent processes.

                    It's easy to distribute as a PDF and not too hard to print.

                    For detail work like buttons I might use photoshop and bring those images in for extra detail. When our graphic designers create a full-resolution mockup I usually re-do the psd-file and bring bits and pieces into illustrator, it's much, much easier to move stuff around in there. Illustrator also has pixel preview, which makes things look pretty much as the would on the screen.

                    Also, projecting the sketches onto a whiteboard, sketching with the client and taking a picture of the result - and translating this back into the illustrator file - helps communication.

                    If you have a little library of buttons, boxes and other UI elements it's easy to put something together pretty quickly, but it won't be interactive, of course.
                  • Fred Beecher
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 1 8:18 AM
                      On 9/1/06, Desilets, Alain <alain.desilets@...> wrote:

                      > Actually, as I think of this more, this is really what I need:
                      >
                      > - The mockup must be in electronic form
                      > - The mockup must be "neat" (i.e. neater than a free-hand drawing), but
                      > does not have to be photo-realistic. It just has to look professional,
                      > and clearly communicate what the real thing looks like and how it works.
                      > - The mockup must be easy to modify

                      Yep, that's Axure. It's a bit clunky, interface-wise, but it's
                      capabilities are worth all the clicking. I've used Axure for lots of
                      projects so far, so if you want to know more about what it's like
                      working with it, feel free to ask me. Also, their support is
                      incredibly good. They respond to issues and questions very rapidly.

                      - Fred
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 1 8:34 AM
                        > -- Alain:
                        > A special purpose editor designed for translators.
                        > ----

                        Great. I gather this is a web app or a desktop app, then, rather than a
                        physical object.

                        -- Alain:
                        That's right. I'm not much of a handy man ;-).
                        ----
                      • Ilen Zazueta-Hall
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 1 9:15 AM
                          De-lurking to second the recommendation on Axure. It's clunky but robust and allows rapid, semi-functional html prototyping of just about anything. Combine  its custom widgets/masters features with copying and pasting from the graphics editor of your choice and you get something more than a wireframe with minimal effort.

                          I'm curious to know if anybody else uses this type of "pretty" wireframes??

                          Recognizing the oxymoron, I've nevertheless found these documents (somewhere between a wireframe, an html prototype and a screen mock up) to be a very effective bridge between engineering and business users.

                          Regards,

                          --Ilen

                        • Dave Churchville
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 1 9:40 AM
                            <alain.desilets@...> wrote:

                            > I need to produce a photo-realistic wireframe prototype.
                            >
                            > What tools do you use to produce those?

                            If you're planning to use Photoshop, Fireworks, etc. to make static
                            images, you might be interested in EasyPrototype
                            (http://www.easyprototype.com).

                            It's designed to take static images (hand-drawn or pixel-perfect) and
                            make it easy to wire them together to make an interactive prototype,
                            or generate a specification in MS Word.

                            I normally do paper sketches, then just scan them, load them in, and
                            label and link the pages together - it's actually kind of fun.

                            (Disclaimer: My company makes the product, so I'm a bit biased here).

                            --Dave

                            David Churchville
                            http://www.extremeplanner.com/blog
                          • Ron Vutpakdi
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 2 5:01 AM
                              <alain.desilets@...> wrote:

                              > I assume you want to work to pixel-level accuracy,
                              > rather than working at a sketchier level.
                              >
                              > -- Alain:
                              > Actually, as I think of this more, this is really what I need:
                              >
                              > - The mockup must be in electronic form
                              > - The mockup must be "neat" (i.e. neater than a free-hand drawing), but
                              > does not have to be photo-realistic. It just has to look professional,
                              > and clearly communicate what the real thing looks like and how it works.
                              > - The mockup must be easy to modify

                              I use Canvas from ACD Systems (formerly from Deneba Software) for my
                              wireframes and mockups. Canvas is a jack of all trades graphics
                              package that is a combination of functionality found in Illustrator,
                              Photoshop, and some light page layout capabilities.

                              Depending on the need, I can create wireframes using solely the vector
                              and text capabilities or "photo realistic mockups" by adding in bitmap
                              level functionality.

                              For distribution, I create multiple page PDFs. These days, I've been
                              experimenting with adding (limited) clickable navigation to each
                              mockup so that if the user clicks on what looks like a button (that
                              launches a dialog) or tab, the document changes to the page of the
                              document which shows the interface as if the user really did click on
                              that button or tab.

                              On Wednesday, when my manager returns from vacation, I'll ask if I can
                              distribute a short example of one of my documents.

                              Ron
                            • Miinalainen, Petteri
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 4 12:46 AM
                                Well, first i call only simple wireframes as wireframes... Photorealistic stuff is usually called hifi prototype (if it's clickable) or visualized storyboard or scenario if it's only a sequence of photorealistic screenshots without any functionality.

                                I usually only produce one or two photorealistic screens to show the visual appearance and produce lofi wireframe of the rest.
                                Only when the visual appearance and overall structure of screens and associated screen flows have been fixed, we produce the rest of screens usually with html or IDE GUI tools.

                                So, to try to answer your question.
                                1. for photorealistic screens: either photoshop or fireworks is used to create photorealistic screen pictures
                                2. for wireframes: visio, pen & paper, powerpoint, freehand, whiteboard and digicam etc etc.
                                3. based on those, a basic set of screens is produced in html or with development environments gui tools ( screen types, templates). In some cases a formal documentation is created to describe the various screen types. This is kinda slow and can not usually be considered as very agile, but it sure does bring some accuracy...
                                For web development, dreamweaver and well-designed css is often fastest way to create photorealistic screens after the initial creation. They have the added benefit of being reusable as basis for final applications ui code.
                                4. developers usually finish the rest of the required screens based on the screen types (list, search, drill-down,...) in collaboration with ui designer

                                Lately i've been wondering about using axure rp pro for creating simultaneously wireframe, prototype and user interface specification.
                                check it out www.axure.com

                                other tools worth checking out
                                MockupScreens at http://mockupscreens.com/
                                tools for creating wireframes
                                tools for creating annotated prototypes and specifications on top of pictures. Pictures can be digital shots of whiteboard doodles or sophisticated and elaborate screen images made with photoshop et al. You just create the annotation overlay with this application.

                                Petteri