are UI people part of the development or customer team? -was Re: UI & user st...

    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 31, 2006
      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Poppendieck" <tom@...>
      wrote:
      > Your question could as well be asked with respect to QA, Business
      analysts,
      > or Technical writers as with respect to UI people. I suspect it
      reveals a
      > weakness of the doctrine of customer team vs developer team.

      I agree.

      When things start going wrong when building a product it often does
      turn literally into customer team vs. developer team.

      It is interesting how XP as a process has permeated agile
      development. That customer team development team structure is now
      common. Story driven development is common. XP style estimation and
      velocity tracking is common. Scrum style burn down charts have
      wormed their way in. That customer/developer divide seems here to
      stay leaving lots of other roles left to "choose sides."

      Of course it shouldn't be that way, and on healthy teams it isn't.

      I'll stop short of asking if there's anything that should change
      about XP - or if something about XP causes this divide... since I'm
      not really prepared to think about the answer. ;-)