Re: [agile-usability] Partial Progress

    Message 1 of 62 , Aug 31, 2006
      Alexander Johannesen wrote:
      > If you can hide your work from them,
      > then great, but there is this notion of teamwork going on here that
      > requires a certain ... mediation to old progroms.

      Which, honestly, I don't think is unreasonable. From the perspective of
      the waterfall person, all problems can be solved with a little more
      planning, and failing to plan it all up front looks dangerous and the
      fast route to failure. Until you have seen it work, it's easy to believe
      that agile processes are impossible. I sure did.

      When dealing with people like that I'll generally try one of two
      approaches. The first is "Well, let's try an experiment." We find some
      level of risk that they are comfortable with and try out agile methods
      in that context. If the experiment is a success, we try a bigger experiment.

      The other is, "You do what you think it takes." If they want a big spec,
      then sure, they can write one up as we have our discussions around the
      product. If they think a continuously updated spec is important, then
      great, they should keep updating it. If they want a big MS Project
      thingy, fine, we'll make sure all the necessary data is on our wall of
      cards.

      I don't know if those are helpful to you, but they've worked for me.

      Message 62 of 62 , Aug 31, 2006