Re: [agile-usability] Re: incremental design -vs- overall user experience

  • Adam Carter
    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 14, 2004
      Jeff Patton wrote:

      > Lastly, I don't think a usability person is a necessary role on an
      > agile team. I think the _work they do_ is necessary. And,
      > depending on it's criticality to the project, there could be an
      > expert on the team, or the work could be understood and shared among
      > members of the team.
      >
      > thanks,
      >
      > -Jeff (P)

      Funnily enough I think they are as needed as anybody else on a well
      balanced crew. Just like you have some software engineer ninja (or more)
      to ask very apt questions to customers, and then using those questions
      use their expertise to generate fantastic hardcore bits of programming
      as quickly and cheaply as possible, you need Human Computer Design
      ninjas who can ask the right questions, and design awesome customer
      interaction paths as quickly and as easily as possible.

      Heck at the end of the day it is all about business value. Usability
      gurus are all about getting the customer get the most out of the product
      ... that sounds like business value to me.

      Adam
    • katharina9267
      Message 38 of 38 , May 30, 2007
        Larry,

        This is without a doubt an issue that I came across in my experience
        as a usability manager.

        Do you suggest that this work should be done in iteration 0 using the
        agile methodology? This seems to be increasingly a recommendation in
        a number of white papers and publications such as Scott Ambler.
        However, when you say 'minimal effort' how does this translate into
        time scales - is there an average that you work with in your
        experience let's say 1-2 weeks?

        I also appreciate, if you could forward the pdfs on the collaborative
        UI review method that you mentioned in a previous message.
        Many thanks,
        Katharina

        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Constantine"
        <lconstantine@...> wrote:

        > Jeff,
        >
        > An effective way around this problem is to draft a navigation
        architecture
        > (screen flow) in advance based on provisional understanding of user
        roles
        > and tasks in the application. This architecture gives a reasonably
        well
        > thought out framework on which to hang the features and functions
        as they
        > arise "organically." The navigation architecture is itself reviewed
        and
        > refactored as needed as the details of the application emerge. This
        approach
        > is what I describe as "architecture-first development" in the new
        Cutter