Getting the most of a Tablet PC

  • Lacroix, Eric
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 23, 2006

      Here is my first ever question on the discussion group, I try to get the most of my Tablet PC (X41) but it seam that there is a lack of software or maybe there is a piece of software I really need to have but I’m not aware of. I wonder if someone could comment on their use of a Tablet PC.

      Right now I use those ink enable software:

      Microsoft OneNote to take all my meeting notes and to sketch a few ideas;

      Microsoft PowerPoint for all Low fidelity prototypes + Ink annotation (+ Photoshop);

      MindJet MindManager for all brainstorming session;

      Denim from Berkley University , witch is a great idea but does not really work well on a Tablet PC (So most of the time I use PowerPoint).

      Alias SketchBook, I’m still running the demo, Ink support is really neat.

      Cheers,

      Eric Lacroix B.Sc.

      User Experience Architect - Concepteur d’architectures ergonomiques

      Technology R&D - Technologie Recherche et développement

      CCH Canadian Ltd - CCH Canadienne Ltée

      1120, de Cherbourg

      Sherbrooke (Québec) J1K 2N8h

      Tel. : 819.566.5772.8208

      Fax/Téléc. : 819.564.3978

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 24, 2006
        On 24 Aug 2006, at 05:09, Lacroix, Eric wrote:

        > Here is my first ever question on the discussion group, I try to
        > get the most of my Tablet PC (X41) but it seam that there is a lack
        > of software or maybe there is a piece of software I really need to
        > have but I'm not aware of. I wonder if someone could comment on
        > their use of a Tablet PC.

        I don't - I just use paper :)

        Adrian
      • Sachin Palewar
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 24, 2006
          Message
          Eric,

          May be you should check out http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/tabletpc/default.mspx, there you will find tons of info regarding how you can best use your tablet PC. I hope it helps :-)

          Regards,

          Sachin Palewar

          Palewar Techno Solutions
          Windows Mobile & Palm Software Development
          Nagpur, India

          http://www.palewar.com

          On 24 Aug 2006, at 05:09, Lacroix, Eric wrote:

          > Here is my first ever question on the discussion group, I try to
          > get the most of my Tablet PC (X41) but it seam that there is a lack
          > of software or maybe there is a piece of software I really need to
          > have but I'm not aware of. I wonder if someone could comment on
          > their use of a Tablet PC.

          I don't - I just use paper :)

          Adrian

        • Ron Jeffries
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 24, 2006
            Hello Eric, thank you for your question. On Thursday, August 24,
            2006, at 12:09:16 AM, you wrote:

            > Here is my first ever question on the discussion group, I try to get the most of my Tablet PC
            > (X41) but it seam that there is a lack of software or maybe there is a piece of software I really
            > need to have but I'm not aware of. I wonder if someone could
            > comment on their use of a Tablet PC.

            Not sure it's on topic for this list, but I use a Tablet, so here
            goes:

            > Right now I use those ink enable software:
            > Microsoft OneNote to take all my meeting notes and to sketch a few ideas;
            > Microsoft PowerPoint for all Low fidelity prototypes + Ink annotation (+ Photoshop);
            > MindJet MindManager for all brainstorming session;
            > Denim from Berkley University, witch is a great idea but does not really work well on a Tablet
            > PC (So most of the time I use PowerPoint).
            > Alias SketchBook, I'm still running the demo, Ink support is really neat.

            First, some comments on your list:

            I have all those programs, except for Denim. I've not found
            OneNote to be all that useful, because it seems to insist on
            rearranging my notes on its own, and because it seems to get
            really confused when I try to move things around or make space for
            something new.

            I only used MindManager a bit, but it too seemed to me to want to
            do more arranging than I cared for, and my notes look wilder than
            it seems to like.

            I rarely use PowerPoint, with or without a pen.

            Sketchbook is way cool.

            What else I have and comments:

            Microsoft Journal. The writers of this program seem to nearly
            understand what a Tablet ought to be about, in my opinion. Namely
            "Smart Paper". Journal imposes no structure on me, lets me do most
            everything I could on paper, and two important things that I can't
            do on paper: make more space, and move things around. I use
            Journal for most of my pen-based messing around. Recently I used
            it to take notes on the screen during a workshop.

            Microsoft Experience Pack Snipping Tool. Cute tool for cutting
            things from the screen and putting them elsewhere. Not really a
            Tablet-only tool, but handy.

            Art Rage 2. Interesting drawing program analogous to Sketchbook.
            Very interesting ink possibilities. Paint has texture, brushes run
            dry, palette knife will smear paints and mix colors ... might be
            more useful if I were more artistic than I am.

            Sudoku. Pen-based sudoku game.

            EverNote Plus. Time-based note taking tool. Can mix ink and typed
            notes nicely. I don't use it much.

            Tablet Evolution. Very interesting note-taking program, very much
            unlike anything else. Odd human factors. Always puts me off, but I
            always think I should use it more to find out what it's good for.
            Has a new "ConceptNav" add-in that gives a graphic overview of
            your notes. I've not tried that at all, just discovered it in
            writing this note. Rarely use it but it's always interesting.

            Miss Lonelynotes. Not really tablet oriented. Uses an index card
            model. I got it to get a sense of what index cards could do on the
            tablet.

            Sticky Notes. Microsoft thing that puts yellow stickies on your
            desktop. Would be handy, maybe, if you always work in tablet mode.
            Might be handy anyway, but I don't use it.

            AlphaTap, MessageEase, Transparent TIP. Various text-input tools.
            None of them are much worth using, any more than the popup
            input panel is.

            Tablet UML. If you use UML, Martin Shoemaker's Tablet UML program
            is very cool.

            Of all of these, I use Journal and Sketchbook fairly often, and the
            only other one I've used for months is ArtRage. The others I played
            with and don't use. For me, it's probably Journal 45, Sketchbook 45
            (because I draw a lot of sketches), ArtRage 5, all else 5.

            I have a pen computer fetish and have had almost every pen computer
            ever made. I keep hoping they'll actually be useful. That said, I
            much prefer paper to the Tablet for day to day writing things down.

            What is needed, in my opinion, is not a program that makes my pen
            work like a keyboard for text entry, maybe with a little drawing
            thrown in. What is needed is a program that does everything paper
            does and more, not in a computer like way but the way a very
            intelligent assistant would. I keep thinking Microsoft or someone
            should use me to help them design a really good Tablet capability,
            but so far, no luck.

            If you find anything else fun ... let me know. Good luck!

            Ron Jeffries
            www.XProgramming.com
            Talent determines how fast you get good, not how good you get. -- Richard Gabriel
          • Cory Foy
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 24, 2006
              Ron Jeffries wrote:
              > What is needed, in my opinion, is not a program that makes my pen
              > work like a keyboard for text entry, maybe with a little drawing
              > thrown in. What is needed is a program that does everything paper
              > does and more, not in a computer like way but the way a very
              > intelligent assistant would. I keep thinking Microsoft or someone
              > should use me to help them design a really good Tablet capability,
              > but so far, no luck.

              I worked on a project a couple of years back with a smart paper product.
              Basically, you printed out your forms, etc onto special paper (which was
              about the same cost as regular paper), and you used their pen to fill
              them out. You could then set the pen next to a device, and it could
              connect to the device and send the results in.

              We used it for home inspectors. They could print out the inspection
              forms on this paper, and use the pen to fill it out. They would leave
              the paper at the job site, and simply set the pen next to their phone,
              where it would connect and send back the results to the server.

              We did something similar with Tablet PC apps and a small, portable
              printer where they could fill out the inspection report, and it would
              print out a pass/fail slip, and the tablet would sync as realtime as it
              could back to the server to send the results and get other items on
              their itinerary for the day.

              The nice thing is that there are some good controls for .NET and the
              Tablet PC to embed the pen capability in your apps.

              --
              Cory Foy
              http://www.cornetdesign.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 24, 2006
                Message
                For your inspection project I think instead of tablet pc you can also use windows mobile device or any other PDA coupled with a portable printer to achieve what you did with tablet pc and a portable printer combo. A PDA/Mobile device costs much lesser than a tablet and still can do the job you want. We have done many such applications, if you are interested you can mail me personally and we can discuss this more.

                Also I think you can go for a Mobile device with Phone built in, like Treo, or phones like XDA etc, that would eliminate need for a separate phone to connect to internet.

                Regards,
                Sachin Palewar

                Palewar Techno Solutions
                Mobile Software Development Outsourcing

                > What is needed, in my opinion, is not a program that makes my pen
                > work like a keyboard for text entry, maybe with a little drawing
                > thrown in. What is needed is a program that does everything paper
                > does and more, not in a computer like way but the way a very
                > intelligent assistant would. I keep thinking Microsoft or someone
                > should use me to help them design a really good Tablet capability,
                > but so far, no luck.

                I worked on a project a couple of years back with a smart paper product.
                Basically, you printed out your forms, etc onto special paper (which was
                about the same cost as regular paper), and you used their pen to fill
                them out. You could then set the pen next to a device, and it could
                connect to the device and send the results in.

                We used it for home inspectors. They could print out the inspection
                forms on this paper, and use the pen to fill it out. They would leave
                the paper at the job site, and simply set the pen next to their phone,
                where it would connect and send back the results to the server.

                We did something similar with Tablet PC apps and a small, portable
                printer where they could fill out the inspection report, and it would
                print out a pass/fail slip, and the tablet would sync as realtime as it
                could back to the server to send the results and get other items on
                their itinerary for the day.

                The nice thing is that there are some good controls for .NET and the
                Tablet PC to embed the pen capability in your apps.

                --
                Cory Foy
                http://www.cornetde sign.com

              • Darren
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 24, 2006
                  Hi Eric,

                  I bought a tablet PC to see if it could be used to speed up or make
                  the prototyping process easier/quicker. The only tools that seemed
                  to work well for me was Microsoft Journal for drawing up paper
                  prototypes. The advantage over paper prototype? it saves me time
                  scanning or taking photos to share it with the team electronically.

                  From the paper prototype, if necessary, i use Visio to create a
                  higher fidelity version.. we have created a template of all the
                  common controls as shapes in visio, so it's a simple drag and drop..
                  tablet pc has little advantage in this arena.. it does feels more
                  natural for me using a stylus on the tablet rather than a mouse.. I
                  must say that the handwriting recognition on winxp is quite
                  impressive, not perfect, but i would say is accurate 80-90% of the
                  time (without any training).

                  Overall, i would say it's still not worth the investment, not at this
                  point in time for UI designers.. but a good gadget to get
                  conversations happening during workshops.. an ice-breaker..

                  Regards,
                  Darren

                  --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Lacroix, Eric"