Learnability vs Usability [Was: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?SystemsPersonalities]

  • Jon Kern
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
      another interesting distinguishing feature I like to make -- especially in the context of development tools -- is the difference between
          Learnability
              and
          Usability

      "Learnability" -- how fast can people get up to speed using and being proficient with the app?

      "Usability" -- when a user is up to speed on the app, how quickly can they get the intended results from their usage of the app?

      These can often be at opposite ends:
      I might allow 3 ways to achieve a given task. This is great for usability when an expert knows the subtle ramifications of each of the three (apparently) similar choices. However, the apparent similarity to a new user can cause learnability to suffer.

      Depending on the focus of the software and the end user groups (personalities), design can emphasize these two characteristics of software differently.

      -- jon