Re: What would you do?: Affected User Reqs

  • Andrea Pilati
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
      We have that same situation with a client, who believes we're
      "re-designing" the site, yet still wants the old site/process/user
      interface.

      What we did was present the task flows absolutely separated from the
      IA/user wireframes, and kept impressing upon them that the
      requirements (i.e. use case flows) didn't necessarily represent the
      interface. They seemed to calm down, and we've been working really
      closely with the IAs to track the requirements being met in the
      interface. We're only part-way through this process, but at least the
      swords aren't rattling, yet.
      I know it's hard to step back from the UI, for most biz clients 'cause
      they're familiar with the interaction, not necessarily the task but
      carefully scalpel-ling the reqs from UI has worked for me
      (sometimes!). I always come in as the conduit - holding the current
      user's hand (your client) and then gently (!) guiding them towards
      better - which I totally agree with everyone, you can do through
      testing, and good quantitative results.

      It sounds like you're being hit with both ends - business and user
      expert. I don't envy you, that's for sure!

      take care,