Re: [agile-usability] What would you do?: Affected User Reqs

  • PaulOldfield1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 14, 2006
      (responding to Alain)
      > We need to work our way back to the requirement  by asking why they > want what they asked for - what does that do for them?  (Google "Ask > 5 times Why", "5 Whys", "Ask Why 5 times").
      >
      > -- Alain:
      > Do not try this at home with your spouse ;-).
      > ----

      It works; one needs even more diplomacy though.  One also needs
      to be aware that ANY reason is going to be correct, so often one
      need not ask.  Yet it can be good to know she feels like she can't
      relax unless the house is perfectly clean, rather than she wants
      you to clear up all the mud you just trailed in from the garden.

      Where diplomacy is required is that she expects us to know all
      this without asking, so asking would seem to be rebellion.
      I get users like that too, but not often.

      Paul Oldfield
    • Colette Elisa Buscarini
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 17, 2006
        Your client has a comfortable mental model of the (awful) application and indeed it is difficult to break old habits.  Having said that, going back to requirements is a good idea but you might consider (if time/money allows) to invite some end users to test on the (awful) application.  Perhaps by witnessing how difficult and unfriendly it is to use this (awful) application, she might be more open to new suggestions - such as going back to requirements and re-structuring the IA.  I have used this approach with very sensitive clients who are too close to the project or other who need to be further educated about the entire design process.

        Cheers,
        Colette

        colette buscarini
        senior creative and user experience architect
        email: buscarini17@...
        phone: 07843 620 295

      • Andrea Pilati
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
          We have that same situation with a client, who believes we're
          "re-designing" the site, yet still wants the old site/process/user
          interface.

          What we did was present the task flows absolutely separated from the
          IA/user wireframes, and kept impressing upon them that the
          requirements (i.e. use case flows) didn't necessarily represent the
          interface. They seemed to calm down, and we've been working really
          closely with the IAs to track the requirements being met in the
          interface. We're only part-way through this process, but at least the
          swords aren't rattling, yet.
          I know it's hard to step back from the UI, for most biz clients 'cause
          they're familiar with the interaction, not necessarily the task but
          carefully scalpel-ling the reqs from UI has worked for me
          (sometimes!). I always come in as the conduit - holding the current
          user's hand (your client) and then gently (!) guiding them towards
          better - which I totally agree with everyone, you can do through
          testing, and good quantitative results.

          It sounds like you're being hit with both ends - business and user
          expert. I don't envy you, that's for sure!

          take care,