Re: Interaction design rules of thumb - do they exist?

  • Darren
    Message 1 of 42 , Jul 11, 2006
      As a UI designer, I agree with the 'it depends' answer. However this
      is not to say that there aren't any resources available to help with
      making UI design decisions, as Elizabeth has pointed out all the
      useful patterns sites below.

      However, I'm unsure how effective patterns are for developers in
      general. We started writing up UI patterns in our organisation, with
      the intention of providing developers with solutions to common design
      problems. However, we found that most developers did not have the
      time to trawl through standards, and take the time to identify the
      suitable pattern, and to read through it. They simply preferred
      coming back to a usability person for the solution. 1. Because it was
      much quicker, and required less effort. 2. it gave them confidence
      that the solution was going to work, and that they haven't used
      the 'wrong' pattern.

      Regards,
      Darren

      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Patton" <jpatton@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks Elizabeth - that's exactly what I was looking for.
      >
      > -Jeff
      >
      > --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth Whitworth"
      > <elizabethwhitworth@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Jeff,
      > >
      > > There is a growing body of UX/UI patterns that can provide some
      > guidance in
      > > design. Related to your specific problem, the following seem
      > relevant
      > > (though none seem to hit the nail on the head):
      > >
      > > * http://designinginterfaces.com/Forgiving_Format
      > > * http://www.welie.com/patterns/showPattern.php?
      patternID=input-
      > error
      > > * http://www.welie.com/patterns/showPattern.php?
      patternID=forms
      > > * http://www.welie.com/patterns/showPattern.php?
      patternID=format

      > > Nothing else comes immediately to mind, but you might be
      interested
      > > browse the collection of HCI pattern links on my website:
      > > http://hot.carleton.ca/~ewhitworth/html/resources_patterns.html
      > >
      > > Another great resource that I have used in the past is 'Usability
      > Central
      > > Gold' (http://www.humanfactors.com/products/usability-
      > products.asp) from
      > > usability consultants Human Factors International.
      > >
      > > You have to pay for it, unfortunately, but it's a great source
      for
      > the kind
      > > of industry best practices for detailed user interface design
      that
      > you seem
      > > to be looking for. We used the HFI resource as a starting
      > > point/justification for design, and then follow up with more
      context
      > > specific usability analysis/testing.
      > >
      > > - Elizabeth Whitworth
      > > hot.carleton.ca/~ewhitworth
      > >

      > > <http://hot.carleton.ca/%
      7Eewhitworth/html/resources_patterns.html>

      > > On 7/10/06, Jeff Patton <jpatton@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Just now a coworker asked me a question on inputing numbers
      > into a text
      > > >
      > > > box... the form is asking for a number that can be up to 8
      digits
      > > > long. He asked what seem like simple questions:
      > > > do you restrict data entry to only digits?
      > > > do you restrict entry to only 8 digits?
      > > >
      > > > The very unsatisfying answers I give to questions like these
      > are "It
      > > > depends." I'll ask "how is number entry handled elswhere in the
      > > > application?" "Are the users doing heads-down data entry, or
      are
      > they
      > > > filling out the form more interactively?" "What are the numbers
      > being
      > > > entered? - what do they represent?" This line of questioning
      > usually
      > > > gets in the way of the hard and fast answers people are looking
      > for.
      > > >
      > > > So my question for this group is: does a book/reference of
      > boilerplate
      > > > UI/IxD rules of thumb exist?
      > > >
      > > > Or, secondarily, is there a good place to track down usability
      > research
      > > > on specific topics - such as the best way to enter numbers into
      > form
      > > > fields?
      > > >
      > > > thanks,
      > > >
      > > > -Jeff

    • Chris Pehura
      Message 42 of 42 , Jul 14, 2006
        For me, I found sequence diagrams work well. Buy it may just be my style.

        Chris Pehura
        chris@...
        630-696-8101