RE: [agile-usability] Interaction design rules of thumb - do they exist?

  • Pascal Roy
    Message 1 of 42 , Jul 11, 2006

      I think you can have it both ways:

      1-       if you just enter the numbers without the spaces, the software could put the spaces for you when it reaches the right number of chars (or maybe it’s just a question of displaying the numbers with spaces at the right places)

      2-       if you do enter spaces physically, then the software should interpret it as you telling it that you believe that a given sequence is done and that it should jump to the next sequence of numbers. Of course, that means a number could be missing in a given sequence, but since the spacing of the different sequences that make up the full card number is shown, it would be easy to see where you missed a digit.

      I’m with you, I hate really have having to retype everything just because I made a silly mistake… Worst of all, they often have you re-enter the whole form instead of just the field where the mistake was.

      IMHO, Web interaction as it is implemented now by a large majority of sites really sucks big time. I hope that rich client side technologies will improve things in the future. Having looked and played a bit with AJAX and Flash, these technologies seem extremely difficult (and expensive) to test, which would make them rather inefficient in the context of agile software development. I guess this will change over time as better testing tools come out…

      Pascal Roy, ing./P.Eng., PMP

      Vice-Président/Vice President

      Elapse Technologies Inc.

      [url]    http://www.elapsetech.com

      [email]  pascal.roy@...

      [cell]   514-862-6836

      Message 42 of 42 , Jul 14, 2006
        For me, I found sequence diagrams work well. Buy it may just be my style.

        Chris Pehura
        chris@...
        630-696-8101