RE: [agile-usability] Interaction design rules of thumb - do they exist?

    Message 1 of 42 , Jul 11, 2006
      Message
      I can't speak to the rules of thumbs thing, but I think "it depends" IS the right answer.

      For example, if the N-digit number happens to be a credit card number, then the right approach is to:

      - Allow anywhere between N and N+N/4+1 characters
      - Strip out any spaces from the input
      - If the number is not valid, tell the user why, and redisplay the form WITH THE ERRONEOUS NUMBER STILL THERE

      I'm SO SICK of web sites which insist that I should enter my credit card number without spaces. My credit card lists that number with a blank every 4 characters, so why would I want to type it without the blanks? There is a good reason why credit card companies put blank characters every 4 digit! I makes the number easier to transcribe and verify. To make things worse, many of those sites then just tell me that the number was wrong and present me with a blank field where I have to retype the number from scratch, instead of just identifying the mistake in the one I typed.

      Alain

      Message 42 of 42 , Jul 14, 2006
        For me, I found sequence diagrams work well. Buy it may just be my style.

        Chris Pehura
        chris@...
        630-696-8101