RE: [agile-usability] Interaction design rules of thumb - do they exist?

  • Tobias Mayer
    Message 1 of 42 , Jul 10, 2006
      Thanks Jon...

      > the form is asking for a number that can be up to 8 digits long.
      This implied that there were no leading non-significant characters, but only up to eight digits, so I'm not sure your first example is valid in this case.

      The second example however, is interesting.  As a user I do face this problem, e.g. when entering a credit card number.  I'd like the application itself to impose spacing between groups of digits (four in this particular example) so it looks like the number on my card.  I would not want to actually type those spaces as that would just be annoying.  So I would still want to restrict data entry to digits only, and have the application deal with presenting the data back to the user in a meaningful way.

      Of course, what I am really saying here is "it depends" :-) A solution for entering credit USA card numbers (which are always 16 digits) will not work for entering (e.g.)international postal codes (which may be letters and/or numbers).  But still, in relation to Jeff's exact statement "the form is asking for a number that can be up to 8 digits long" I can't think of a good time that restriction to numeric input and a max of eight characters would be a bad thing.  If the statement is badly formed, perhaps, but that is another topic.

      Tobias

      Jon Meads <jon.meads@...> wrote:
      Tobias,

      If the user has the number in a different format than that expected by the implementers (e.g., has leading zeroes or a non-significant set of lead digits or characters), it might be wise to allow more than 8 digits and only use the significant digits for the application. Also a lot of long numbers (>5 digits) are hard to input and visually verify unless they are entered as 3 or 4 digit chunks. That means allowing a separator would make it more usable. And then there are the "unknown things we don't know about".

      Cheers,
      jon

      Message 42 of 42 , Jul 14, 2006
        For me, I found sequence diagrams work well. Buy it may just be my style.

        Chris Pehura
        chris@...
        630-696-8101