Interaction design rules of thumb - do they exist?

    Message 1 of 42 , Jul 10, 2006
      Just now a coworker asked me a question on inputing numbers into a text
      box... the form is asking for a number that can be up to 8 digits
      long. He asked what seem like simple questions:
      do you restrict data entry to only digits?
      do you restrict entry to only 8 digits?

      The very unsatisfying answers I give to questions like these are "It
      depends." I'll ask "how is number entry handled elswhere in the
      application?" "Are the users doing heads-down data entry, or are they
      filling out the form more interactively?" "What are the numbers being
      entered? - what do they represent?" This line of questioning usually
      gets in the way of the hard and fast answers people are looking for.

      So my question for this group is: does a book/reference of boilerplate
      UI/IxD rules of thumb exist?

      Or, secondarily, is there a good place to track down usability research
      on specific topics - such as the best way to enter numbers into form
      fields?

      thanks,

      -Jeff
    • Chris Pehura
      Message 42 of 42 , Jul 14, 2006
        For me, I found sequence diagrams work well. Buy it may just be my style.

        Chris Pehura
        chris@...
        630-696-8101