RE: [agile-usability] designers and pairing

  • Myhill, Carl S (GE Infra, Energy)
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 23, 2006
      Message
      This is interesting. We pair up to design. We started doing it because we had a lot of technical writers on hand who were keen to get involved earlier in development. Years of pent up frustration about having to write about software that wasnt designed very well played well for us.

      We paired a tech writer with an interaction designer and it worked very well. We even had a model like the chief programmer team model, one ID with several TWs, but paired for different modules. That sounds complicated, I mean:

      Module 1    IDa TWa
      Module 2    IDa TWb
      Module 3    IDa TWc

      When we went over to Cooper for some training we were pretty thrilled to see they do the same. They have pair teams of a Design Communicator (former tech writer) and Interaction Designer. The reason Cooper did this, as I understand it, was that IDs would spend ages having good ideas on the white board and would then go for lunch or roller skating or something and not write it down. So they conceived the Design Communicator who was primarily responsible for writing it down. Their role grew however and they are pretty much designers in their own right now (which is what we found too) but they do still have the responsibility for writing it down and presenting the design to the rest of the team.

      I tried pitching the concept of 'pair designers' internally, hoping to latch on to a parallel with pair programming. Management didnt make the connection but on the ground, it is the way we work.

      Oops, I stopped lurking - hi!

      Carl

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 24, 2006
        Do I do pair designing? As I have been saying for years, the best practice
        in interaction design is multi-disciplinary teamwork. Just as in pair
        programming, design teams are for more efficient and creative, producing
        higher quality work in less time, for all the same reasons as with pair
        programming. My preferred group is 3-5, with a variety of skill sets, but
        two is good, too. I also do a fair amount of design work on my own, but it
        is rarely my first choice. My sympathy goes out to those who have to work
        alone all the time.

        That said, I have my own preferred "style" of work that fits my personality
        and cognitive patterns best, which oscillates between intense team sessions
        followed by break-up to do solo problem-solving, then return to the group. I
        think every designer needs to find the rhythm and work style that works best
        for them.

        --Larry Constantine, IDSA
        Director, Lab-USE - The Laboratory for Usage-centered Software Engineering
        Professor, Department of Mathematics and Engineering
        University of Madeira, Funchal, Portugal
        Chief Scientist, Constantine & Lockwood Ltd
      • Andrea L Spray
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 24, 2006
          I was recently tasked with the job of creating a
          *team* around 4 designers (myself included) who had
          each been working independently at my company anywhere
          from 0 to 3 years. I knew that the biggest hurdle
          would be to get these guys to work collabortively and
          to see that we could do better work together than any
          one of us could do working in a silo.

          To that end, the first thing I did was establish
          bi-weekly (by which I mean twice a week) 'think aloud'
          meetings to critique each other's work and set the
          expectation that no design would leave our team
          without at least an informal review by another member
          of the team. These sessions often become group design
          whiteboarding sessions where each designer has a copy
          of the design and will sketch their recommendations,
          each building on the ideas of the others. Its really
          amazing what 4 people working on a problem can come up
          with!

          While not paired designing, its gone a long way to
          building trust amonst the team members, has created a
          safe environment for designers to critique and be
          critiqued, and has supported everyone's development.
          Not to mention the improvement to the quality of our
          work. Because we've already hashed through so many
          issues (both design and usability), applications
          designed in this way have been very successful when
          tested in labs.

          Andrea

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 25, 2006
            On 23 Jun 2006, at 22:46, Jeff Patton wrote:
            [snip]
            > My question to people doing design for a living is: do you pair when
            > doing design? If so, is pairing best practice? Are there approaches
            > to pairing you'd recommend? How does it normally go for you?
            [snip]

            Not quite sure what the definition of "design" is here :-) but I
            regularly pair with graphic design / usability folk both when wearing
            my programmer hat and when wearing my usability hat. I nearly always
            find working with other people more productive than sitting by myself
            when helping develop software - no matter what the task at hand may be.

            There was a recent thread on the IxDA list on pair programming
            (<http://listserver.dreamhost.com/pipermail/discuss-
            interactiondesigners.com/2006-June/010333.html>) that you might find
            interesting.

          • Miinalainen, Petteri
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 26, 2006
              This is really interesting thread.
              About five years ago, me and couple of my ex-collagues tried to convince that working on multi-disciplinary teams is a way to go. Even the clients were very happy with the results, but our work was considered as too expensive and ineffective. ( As in, why there are three people doing the same task?)

              In my opinion, it makes all the difference in quality of work (pairing or even teaming), but it is very hard to sell it in corporate world where each consultant should be able to bill at least 80% of time at certain rate. Having two of them working on "same task" is often considered prohibitively expensive by sales, project management and also by client!!

              But, by pairing designer with programmers or technical writer in doing design, you could justify the other person. I see real benefits in that approach as the handover effect would be much smaller if designer would work hand in hand with programmer or with a person who is writing the documentation for the system / product. Have to try to bake this in to my next project!!

              Petteri

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 27, 2006
                I've used pairs while doing rapid paper prototype
                testing. We get two people in to do the test and ask
                them to talk aloud and note the conversation - the
                sticky points where they ask eachother questions etc.
                You can also have one person go through an exercise
                and then bring a person in who has yet to see the
                prototype and ask the first person to explain the
                site/tasks to get an idea of how well they understand
                the concepts and what might be missing.

                Hilary Coolidge
                Consultant to Molecular

                http://mail.yahoo.com