RE: [agile-usability] meritocracy

  • Ben Brown
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
      I went to school at UNM in Albuquerque, located in one of the worst parts of Albuquerque.

      I was fine, it was fine, never saw any crime.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
        > It illustrates a pertinent point.

        It does?

        > While one should never
        > make assumptions over what a user of a system considers
        > to be important, this is so much more the case where the
        > user of the system is a teenager.
        >
        > Paul Oldfield

        Oh! Yeah, that was my point!

        Ben Brown wrote:

        > I went to school at UNM in Albuquerque, located in one of the worst
        > parts of Albuquerque.
        >
        > I was fine, it was fine, never saw any crime.

        Just for the record, I trust Ashley to get educated. I would do my
        fatherly duty to object to any rationale she used to pick a school.

        As her primary educational input right now is the Viacom cable
        channels, we may respect them for promoting A> party schools, and B>
        very hard schools that look good on a resume.

        For A, we all know the farther north in California, the better (right,
        Ben Kovitz?;). For B> it seems to me one should pick a school where
        it's easy to get within 25 meters of a real professor, and maybe a
        school that's easy to graduate. Not the _best_ school, where the
        competition would be irrelevantly unfair.

        Now point C is _not_ that Berkeley is a high-crime area. Human
        diversity naturally reaches extremes in such situations. Point C is
        this:

        Back in my day, a company town was as healthy as the company running
        it. That company picks the mayor and city council. So why are so many
        stores and people out-of-business, right across the street from a
        major player? Maybe UCB isn't really as smart as they claim to be...

        --
        Phlip
        http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!