Re: [agile-usability] meritocracy

  • PaulOldfield1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006

      > That's one of the strangest emails I've ever received.

      It illustrates a pertinent point.  While one should never
      make assumptions over what a user of a system considers
      to be important, this is so much more the case where the
      user of the system is a teenager.

      Paul Oldfield

    • Ben Brown
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
        I went to school at UNM in Albuquerque, located in one of the worst parts of Albuquerque.

        I was fine, it was fine, never saw any crime.

        > That's one of the strangest emails I've ever received.

        It illustrates a pertinent point.  While one should never
        make assumptions over what a user of a system considers
        to be important, this is so much more the case where the
        user of the system is a teenager.

        Paul Oldfield

      • Phlip
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
          > It illustrates a pertinent point.

          It does?

          > While one should never
          > make assumptions over what a user of a system considers
          > to be important, this is so much more the case where the
          > user of the system is a teenager.
          >
          > Paul Oldfield

          Oh! Yeah, that was my point!

          Ben Brown wrote:

          > I went to school at UNM in Albuquerque, located in one of the worst
          > parts of Albuquerque.
          >
          > I was fine, it was fine, never saw any crime.

          Just for the record, I trust Ashley to get educated. I would do my
          fatherly duty to object to any rationale she used to pick a school.

          As her primary educational input right now is the Viacom cable
          channels, we may respect them for promoting A> party schools, and B>
          very hard schools that look good on a resume.

          For A, we all know the farther north in California, the better (right,
          Ben Kovitz?;). For B> it seems to me one should pick a school where
          it's easy to get within 25 meters of a real professor, and maybe a
          school that's easy to graduate. Not the _best_ school, where the
          competition would be irrelevantly unfair.

          Now point C is _not_ that Berkeley is a high-crime area. Human
          diversity naturally reaches extremes in such situations. Point C is
          this:

          Back in my day, a company town was as healthy as the company running
          it. That company picks the mayor and city council. So why are so many
          stores and people out-of-business, right across the street from a
          major player? Maybe UCB isn't really as smart as they claim to be...

          --
          Phlip
          http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!