Re: [agile-usability] meritocracy

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
      Ben Brown wrote:

      > That's one of the strangest emails I've ever received.

      Thanks! Let's make a question out of it. Is UCB user friendly?

      --
      Phlip
      http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006

        > That's one of the strangest emails I've ever received.

        It illustrates a pertinent point.  While one should never
        make assumptions over what a user of a system considers
        to be important, this is so much more the case where the
        user of the system is a teenager.

        Paul Oldfield

      • Ben Brown
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
          I went to school at UNM in Albuquerque, located in one of the worst parts of Albuquerque.

          I was fine, it was fine, never saw any crime.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
            > It illustrates a pertinent point.

            It does?

            > While one should never
            > make assumptions over what a user of a system considers
            > to be important, this is so much more the case where the
            > user of the system is a teenager.
            >
            > Paul Oldfield

            Oh! Yeah, that was my point!

            Ben Brown wrote:

            > I went to school at UNM in Albuquerque, located in one of the worst
            > parts of Albuquerque.
            >
            > I was fine, it was fine, never saw any crime.

            Just for the record, I trust Ashley to get educated. I would do my
            fatherly duty to object to any rationale she used to pick a school.

            As her primary educational input right now is the Viacom cable
            channels, we may respect them for promoting A> party schools, and B>
            very hard schools that look good on a resume.

            For A, we all know the farther north in California, the better (right,
            Ben Kovitz?;). For B> it seems to me one should pick a school where
            it's easy to get within 25 meters of a real professor, and maybe a
            school that's easy to graduate. Not the _best_ school, where the
            competition would be irrelevantly unfair.

            Now point C is _not_ that Berkeley is a high-crime area. Human
            diversity naturally reaches extremes in such situations. Point C is
            this:

            Back in my day, a company town was as healthy as the company running
            it. That company picks the mayor and city council. So why are so many
            stores and people out-of-business, right across the street from a
            major player? Maybe UCB isn't really as smart as they claim to be...