RE: [agile-usability] meritocracy

  • Ben Brown
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 13, 2006
      That's one of the strangest emails I've ever received.

    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
        Ben Brown wrote:

        > That's one of the strangest emails I've ever received.

        Thanks! Let's make a question out of it. Is UCB user friendly?

        --
      • PaulOldfield1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006

          > That's one of the strangest emails I've ever received.

          It illustrates a pertinent point.  While one should never
          make assumptions over what a user of a system considers
          to be important, this is so much more the case where the
          user of the system is a teenager.

          Paul Oldfield

        • Ben Brown
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
            I went to school at UNM in Albuquerque, located in one of the worst parts of Albuquerque.

            I was fine, it was fine, never saw any crime.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
              > It illustrates a pertinent point.

              It does?

              > While one should never
              > make assumptions over what a user of a system considers
              > to be important, this is so much more the case where the
              > user of the system is a teenager.
              >
              > Paul Oldfield

              Oh! Yeah, that was my point!

              Ben Brown wrote:

              > I went to school at UNM in Albuquerque, located in one of the worst
              > parts of Albuquerque.
              >
              > I was fine, it was fine, never saw any crime.

              Just for the record, I trust Ashley to get educated. I would do my
              fatherly duty to object to any rationale she used to pick a school.

              As her primary educational input right now is the Viacom cable
              channels, we may respect them for promoting A> party schools, and B>
              very hard schools that look good on a resume.

              For A, we all know the farther north in California, the better (right,
              Ben Kovitz?;). For B> it seems to me one should pick a school where
              it's easy to get within 25 meters of a real professor, and maybe a
              school that's easy to graduate. Not the _best_ school, where the
              competition would be irrelevantly unfair.

              Now point C is _not_ that Berkeley is a high-crime area. Human
              diversity naturally reaches extremes in such situations. Point C is
              this:

              Back in my day, a company town was as healthy as the company running
              it. That company picks the mayor and city council. So why are so many
              stores and people out-of-business, right across the street from a
              major player? Maybe UCB isn't really as smart as they claim to be...