meritocracy

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 13, 2006
      AU:

      To attend a wedding in Berkeley (CA), my wife Iris insists on a hotel
      right on The Strip, meaning Shattuck across the street from the
      University of California.

      These streets are infested with students out spending daddy's money,
      and with a thriving underworld of bums and vendors of vice. And many
      of the latter are former students...

      My daughter, who is 11 going on 18, is graduating elementary school
      this week, so of course she's planning her college prospects. Someone
      left an MCAT study guide in our hotel room. She reads a "passage",
      about adenosine triphosphate assisting chemical transport across cell
      membranes, and I tell her "Could you go to a lower page number and
      read a shorter passage??"

      She says, "It's the first one in the book."

      Of course she starts planning to attend UCB. I'm like, "But you
      overheard those students talking on the street, really loudly about
      their personal problems. They are obviously vacuous air-heads!"

      "I know! Isn't it cool!"

      "Why UCB? Did you actually study their programs?"

      "Yeah! Everyone says they are really hard!"

      "Well why don't you pick a college that's easier to graduate?"

      Try another tack.

      "Ashley, did you notice any bums when we were out wandering around?"

      "Yeah."

      "Did you notice all the going-out-of-business signs on all the stores?"

      "Yeah."

      "If UC Berkeley is so smart, and they solve global problems (like
      inventing half the internet protocols we use), why can't they just do
      something about their own home town?"

      --
      Phlip
      http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 13, 2006
        That's one of the strangest emails I've ever received.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
          Ben Brown wrote:

          > That's one of the strangest emails I've ever received.

          Thanks! Let's make a question out of it. Is UCB user friendly?

          --
        • PaulOldfield1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006

            > That's one of the strangest emails I've ever received.

            It illustrates a pertinent point.  While one should never
            make assumptions over what a user of a system considers
            to be important, this is so much more the case where the
            user of the system is a teenager.

            Paul Oldfield

          • Ben Brown
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
              I went to school at UNM in Albuquerque, located in one of the worst parts of Albuquerque.

              I was fine, it was fine, never saw any crime.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 14, 2006
                > It illustrates a pertinent point.

                It does?

                > While one should never
                > make assumptions over what a user of a system considers
                > to be important, this is so much more the case where the
                > user of the system is a teenager.
                >
                > Paul Oldfield

                Oh! Yeah, that was my point!

                Ben Brown wrote:

                > I went to school at UNM in Albuquerque, located in one of the worst
                > parts of Albuquerque.
                >
                > I was fine, it was fine, never saw any crime.

                Just for the record, I trust Ashley to get educated. I would do my
                fatherly duty to object to any rationale she used to pick a school.

                As her primary educational input right now is the Viacom cable
                channels, we may respect them for promoting A> party schools, and B>
                very hard schools that look good on a resume.

                For A, we all know the farther north in California, the better (right,
                Ben Kovitz?;). For B> it seems to me one should pick a school where
                it's easy to get within 25 meters of a real professor, and maybe a
                school that's easy to graduate. Not the _best_ school, where the
                competition would be irrelevantly unfair.

                Now point C is _not_ that Berkeley is a high-crime area. Human
                diversity naturally reaches extremes in such situations. Point C is
                this:

                Back in my day, a company town was as healthy as the company running
                it. That company picks the mayor and city council. So why are so many
                stores and people out-of-business, right across the street from a
                major player? Maybe UCB isn't really as smart as they claim to be...