Re: [agile-usability] business reqs and ucd

  • Dale Emery
    Message 1 of 62 , May 19, 2006
      Hi Robert,

      > I think Larry Constantine sometimes points out that that an
      > ATM that serves only the user would dispense cash and not
      > debit their account! :-)

      It seems to me that the bank is a user of the ATM, because the
      ATM is acting on behalf of the bank, carrying out the bank's
      business policies.

      Dale

      --
      Dale Emery, Consultant
      Web: http://www.dhemery.com
      Message 62 of 62 , Aug 31, 2006
        Alexander Johannesen wrote:
        > If you can hide your work from them,
        > then great, but there is this notion of teamwork going on here that
        > requires a certain ... mediation to old progroms.

        Which, honestly, I don't think is unreasonable. From the perspective of
        the waterfall person, all problems can be solved with a little more
        planning, and failing to plan it all up front looks dangerous and the
        fast route to failure. Until you have seen it work, it's easy to believe
        that agile processes are impossible. I sure did.

        When dealing with people like that I'll generally try one of two
        approaches. The first is "Well, let's try an experiment." We find some
        level of risk that they are comfortable with and try out agile methods
        in that context. If the experiment is a success, we try a bigger experiment.

        The other is, "You do what you think it takes." If they want a big spec,
        then sure, they can write one up as we have our discussions around the
        product. If they think a continuously updated spec is important, then
        great, they should keep updating it. If they want a big MS Project
        thingy, fine, we'll make sure all the necessary data is on our wall of
        cards.

        I don't know if those are helpful to you, but they've worked for me.