RE: [agile-usability] business reqs and ucd

  • Jared M. Spool
    Message 1 of 62 , May 19, 2006
      At 11:33 AM 5/19/2006, Lynn Miller wrote:
      >I know a company (NOT the one I work for) that puts out absolutely
      >crappy software that is unusable. The company is successful because
      >they price it very cheaply ($99) and make sure that they have checklists
      >of all the main features that the useable ($2000) software has. Novice
      >users buy this software, realize too late that it doesn't actually work,
      >then buy the higher priced software. This is a business decision of this
      >company and it makes the company successful.

      I've always felt that any business model that hopes customers will behave
      stupidly is bound to fail in the long term. This company will be successful
      in the short term, but since they always need to acquire new customers,
      instead of selling newer products to existing customers, their sales
      expenses will be substantially higher and will make them less competitive.

      The Chia Pet <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chia_pet> was very popular, once...

      Jared

      510 Turnpike Street, Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
      978 327-5561 jspool@... http://www.uie.com
      Blog: http://www.uie.com/brainsparks
      Message 62 of 62 , Aug 31, 2006
        Alexander Johannesen wrote:
        > If you can hide your work from them,
        > then great, but there is this notion of teamwork going on here that
        > requires a certain ... mediation to old progroms.

        Which, honestly, I don't think is unreasonable. From the perspective of
        the waterfall person, all problems can be solved with a little more
        planning, and failing to plan it all up front looks dangerous and the
        fast route to failure. Until you have seen it work, it's easy to believe
        that agile processes are impossible. I sure did.

        When dealing with people like that I'll generally try one of two
        approaches. The first is "Well, let's try an experiment." We find some
        level of risk that they are comfortable with and try out agile methods
        in that context. If the experiment is a success, we try a bigger experiment.

        The other is, "You do what you think it takes." If they want a big spec,
        then sure, they can write one up as we have our discussions around the
        product. If they think a continuously updated spec is important, then
        great, they should keep updating it. If they want a big MS Project
        thingy, fine, we'll make sure all the necessary data is on our wall of
        cards.

        I don't know if those are helpful to you, but they've worked for me.