self promotion and user scenarios

    Message 1 of 5 , May 10, 2006
      I don't know where I stand on the whole list etiquette issue - but I
      did happend to start a thread a few weeks back on user scenarios. And,
      I was starting to use them as a technique to tie a lot of XP-style user
      stories together into something big and more understandable.... and I
      just happened to have a column due for stickyminds.com... so, you can
      guess the rest.

      http://www.stickyminds.com/

      Remember these articles have to be pretty short - and the editors
      chopped quite a bit out. But, I'd be really curious to get this
      group's opinions.

    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2006
        Jeff Patton wrote:

        > http://www.stickyminds.com/
        >
        > Remember these articles have to be pretty short - and the editors
        > chopped quite a bit out. But, I'd be really curious to get this
        > group's opinions.

        SM is disrespecting my browser's font size setting.

        Shame on such web sites!

        --
        Phlip
        http://www.greencheese.us/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2006
          Hello Jeff,
          A very well written article. However are you missing a trick here?
          I do remember someone saying that Activity Theory could be the answer to your problem.
          I have tried to read up on this topic over the Internet, however, I have yet to find a good site that explains Activity Theory in very simple terms. I do beleive that Activity Theory is quite significant as I hear it mentioned quite lot especially in relation to scenarios.

          Leina

          p.s. can someone explain what Activity Theory is? Plus, is there a good site I could read up on this topic without having to buy a book!

        • Larry Constantine
          Message 4 of 5 , May 15, 2006
            Leina,

            For simplified explanation, I recommend the two articles by Rajkumar and
            Waite at http://www.slis.indiana.edu/faculty/yrogers/hci_theory.html. These
            do not tie in to agile design but are good summaries. I am working on a
            paper on the subject and will share it with this list when complete. I am
            also teaching a class on activity modeling at Architecture and Design World
            in Chicago, 17-20 July.

            --Larry Constantine, IDSA
            Message 5 of 5 , May 15, 2006
              --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, leina elgohari
              <leina_elgohari@...> wrote:

              > Hello Jeff,
              > A very well written article.
              Thank You!

              > However are you missing a trick here?
              > I do remember someone saying that Activity Theory could be the
              answer to your problem.

              I generally try to write from some center of experience - before I
              suggest that someone use user scenarios and give a little guidance on
              how, I'd better have written them myself on several projects in
              several contexts and have a some founded belief that they deliver
              benefits and some tactical advice on how to get started.

              Activity theory is an interesting thing on the horizon for me. Links
              like those Larry just posted will help me get up to speed on the
              subject. If I can get the basics into my head of hwo it works, I can
              then come of with something tactical I can do on a project to
              leverage activity theory. Either that or steal some of the
              techniques that someone like Larry will likely publish shortly. ;-)

              So, I ignored activity theory because I just didn't have anything
              sensible to say about it.

              Does anyone listening have a story about how leveraging activity
              theory afforded them the opportunity to do something tactically
              different on a particular project?