Google Impact Survey; extract from our recent requirements manager survey

  • rickchapman53
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2006
      Google and Promotions Survey

      Dear Colleague,

      With this survey we begin a series of questionnaires about ISV use of
      Google's many facets.

      We are looking to see how closely ISVs have taken Google to their
      hearts, and we're sure you'll be as interested in the results as we
      are.

      The current survey focuses on the use of Google for promotion (the
      use of Google AdWords is the most familiar example). In the near
      future, surveys will explore ISV bundling of Google tools with their
      own products, use of Google as a platform for their products, and the
      competitive environment that Google creates.

      We hope you will be able to help us with this ground-breaking survey
      and that you will participate in the next two installments as they
      appear.

      Everyone who supplies data for this survey will receive a
      complimentary copy of the initial results. Of course, all responses
      will be strictly confidential. We won't disclose or identify data
      about any individuals or participating companies.

      Please be sure to answer all the questions; otherwise we can't send
      you a copy of the results.

      The survey is at http://www.softletter.com/survey/Google1.htm

      Survey results will appear in our May 31 issue.

      You may want to pass this along to a colleague in the industry who
      would want to participate.

      As a thank you to this group for participating in our survey, below
      please find the executive commentary that accompanied the results of
      our requirements management survey that appeared in the April 30
      issue of Softletter. Survey participants received the complete
      results.

      Benchmarks: Requirements Manager Compensation

      (Excerpted from the 04/30/2006 issue of Softletter)

      "In the March 15th issue, Softletter looked at compensation for
      product managers on the marketing side of the house; this time we
      look at the technical product managers (often called "Requirements
      Managers") who are generally found on the development side. Virtually
      all companies polled had both types.

      For Requirements Managers (RMs), Base Pay is essentially static, with
      increases coming from Variable Pay. Compared with (marketing)
      Product Managers, Requirements Managers see smaller pay increases and
      less likelihood of bonuses (74% of Product Managers receive them, and
      only 38% of Requirements Managers). The best raises tend to be in the
      smaller companies.

      The two types tend to stick to their own side of the house: a Product
      Manager is nearly twice as likely to report to marketing as to
      development, while Requirements Managers are more than twice as
      likely to report to development. About 18% of either group report
      to "Other." The above figures are generalizations that respondents
      made about their companies; the people actually described in our two
      polls broke down as follows:

      Product Managers reporting to Marketing: 63%
      Product Managers reporting to Development: 24%
      Product Managers cross-reporting to both: 13%

      Requirements Managers reporting to Marketing: 22%
      Requirements Managers reporting to Development: 55%
      Requirements Managers cross-reporting to both: 23%

      The static pay position of Requirements Managers is related to their
      being on the development side of the house. Not only does the chart
      at the top of the page point this out, but the association of
      Variable Pay with marketing, not development, shows us that 90% of
      Requirements Managers who report to marketing receive bonuses, while
      only 54% of those reporting to development receive them. And to add
      to all the other difficulties of being a cross-report, Requirements
      Managers who report to both marketing and development have only a 43%
      chance of receiving Variable Pay.

      A final point is that we interpret the "n/ms" entered for firms under
      $1M to reflect the belief of smaller companies that dedicated RMs are
      a luxury they cannot afford."

      Many thanks for your help!

      Don Rosenberg, editor
      Softletter/Software Success