Re: [agile-usability] On the Communication between Planner, Designer, and Developer

  • June Kim
    Message 1 of 26 , May 8, 2006
      On 5/9/06, Larry Constantine <lconstantine@...> wrote:
      [snip]
      >A designer with each
      > development team works, so does a developer with each design team.

      Are you recommending "a developer with each design team"? (I didn't
      quite get it)

      > Do use
      > whiteboards to explore and work out designs, but digitize (either with
      > capture bars like Mimio (mimio.com)or with digital camera and
      > WhiteboardPhoto for archiving, rapid distribution.
      >
      > (1) Get the UI architecture thoroughly thought out first. Try to work out a
      > complete navigation map and have wireframe schematics, templates, or
      > abstract prototypes for main page/screen types. Treat all of these as
      > provisional and subject to iterative refinement.

      If we have now UI architecture laid out in our hands, what can we do?
      Can we tell any one party to start to work on their role from the UI
      architecture? Suppose it's the designer. Having the UI architecture,
      what can he/she actually begin to do? (Usually they are trained to
      respond only to very detailed visual guides, like "help"s -- and when
      they see sparse or lo-fi guides instead, they don't start to work on
      it and wait until they think the design is got fixed)

      I think what they need is some sort of funnel-down guides that can
      make them start early and concurrently.

      BTW, I had an experience of designing a web service with innovative
      UIs, for example like Magic Lens and Fish Eye style. Fortunately, we
      worked as a team in a war-room. We were talking about the surface UI
      from the beginning(our focus was more on the specific UIs) and I think
      it didn't have a great positive influence on our developers velocity
      and the code quality.

      > (2) Definitely do a style guide, as Ron suggests, but only in provisional
      > form at the start of the project. Treat it as evolving through iterative
      > refinement just like any other project artifact. You will only learn what
      > the standards should have been as the design evolves and expands.

      Hm... I don't think I got it. Any examples?

      > (3) Regardless of official structure, act *as if* all the participants were
      > part of a common team or team of teams. Consider guerilla tactics that
      > promote that sense, such as encouraging direct communication across
      > divisional and hierarchical lines, inviting broad participation in design
      > reviews, "broadcasting" key milestones or decisions, etc.

      Yes. I wholeheartedly agree with you and I am trying to achieve that
      at this time but still finding it quite challenging. For example, in
      one organization I'm consulting, all the designers in the company are
      in one department -- let's call it Designers Dept. Each one serves
      several projects and teams. On the other hand, developers have their
      own team grouped by the kind of web service they support, and planners
      also have their own team each team serving a few web services. So
      there isn't always a one-to-one mapping between developer teams and
      planner teams, but some developer team and planner team stick together
      for quite a long time(since their main focus has been a few big
      services for a long time) and they collaborate better.

      It's very hard to change their behavior and attitude, when they have
      never experienced any kind of close collaboration.

      > (4) On one project of this sort, we organized a design "S.W.A.T. team" that
      > had ownership of the evolving UI guide, took on the toughest design problems
      > or those with the broadest impact on the results, and served as rapid
      > deployment consultants to other designers and developers. You want your 3-5
      > best, most adaptable, designers on such a team.

      As a separate team and serving other "planner and developer" teams?
      Wouldn't it slow down the whole process? I'm a bit worried.

      Thank you.
    • Sachin Palewar
      Message 2 of 26 , May 8, 2006
        Message
        I second Ron on that.

        Regards,

        Sachin Palewar

        Palewar Techno Solutions
        Pocket PC & Mobile Software Development
        Nagpur, India

        http://www.palewar.com
        Message 3 of 26 , May 8, 2006
          As long as it's postings over 'recent months' not 'recent hours' that are problematic then I'm happy - a few a month is fine, a few a day is not.

          As to posting blog entries, I'm not really a big fan. I kinda feel that mailing lists are to gather advise and ask questions. Blogs are to share experiences. However, on saying that, it doesn't really matter. The quantity on this list is small enough to make little difference and the blog entries tend to be good.

          I did like the baseball game. The refactored game actually seemed like fun!

          About job advertisements: I like them as it makes the skills discussed on this list seem market-worthy.

          About sales pitches: the chances are you're actually advertising to your competitors.

          Tim

          On 5/9/06, Larry Constantine <lconstantine@...> wrote:
          These are a couple of general questions for the group about e-etiquette
          prompted not by any one posting but by a number of them over recent months.

          What do you all think of using postings on the group to drive traffic to a
          separate blog as opposed to saying what you have to say here?

          What do you think about promoting product sales via postings?

          --Larry Constantine, IDSA

          --
          Kei te kōrero tiki au. Kei te kōrero tiki koe. Ka kōrero tiki tāua. Kōrero ai tiki tāua.
          Message 4 of 26 , May 9, 2006
            Larry Constantine wrote:
            > What do you all think of using postings on the group to drive traffic to a
            > separate blog as opposed to saying what you have to say here?

            It depends on how spammy they feel to me. If there's a discussion going
            and somebody refers to a germane post they made last month along with
            some other content, I'm happy about that. Announcements of blog posts
            generally leave me cold, especially if they are just a link with teaser
            text.

            > What do you think about promoting product sales via postings?

            I think a couple of lines in SIGs are fine. I'm also very happy with
            people talking about products that they like, even when they get
            evangelical about it. Promoting one's own products strikes me as
            frequently dubious, and always so when it's from somebody who doesn't
            actively participate in the list.

            Message 5 of 26 , May 10, 2006
              On 8 May 2006, at 21:25, Ron Jeffries wrote:
              [snip]
              > Who knows ... STANDARD_BUTTON_WIDTH, BIG_BUTTON_HEIGHT, ALERT_COLOR,
              > ... anything to abstract out the ideas that the designers are
              > developing, so that when they decide that pink letters on an orange
              > background aren't so good after all, we can just tweak a couple
              > values and rebuild.
              [snip]

              Seconded. Getting the UI abstractions into the code makes things much
              easier all round.

              As an aside this is one of the problems with people still working in
              a "throw the UI specs over the wall to the developer" mode. When
              developers are presented with a bunch of user journeys, wireframes,
              etc. without the UX person around to explain /why/ things have been
              done in such-and-such a way you don't notice the abstractions, so
              they don't make it into the code, so they get mucked about when the
              inevitable changes arrive....

              Message 6 of 26 , May 10, 2006
                <warning - long response>
                June,

                Sorry I didn't get back to you right away. I'm sure you understand
                how non-trivial the situation you describe is – and potentially how
                risky that makes giving advice. But, although I've hesitated, I won't
                let it stop me.

                The pain point or problem I hear you wanting to solve is the large
                amount of time planners spend crafting this communication artefact to
                designers and developers – so I'll talk about that first. Of course
                if you take a hard agile line with all this, you'd do everything you
                could to avoid the written communication. You do that by seating the
                teams close together, by encouraging them to talk over a whiteboard
                whenever possible.

                But, this doesn't solve everything.

                The planner seems to be performing the role of an interaction designer
                [they invent what needs to be built and document the user interaction
                and what I think is the visual design]. Concurrently they perform the
                role of project manager. Sounds tough. Sounds like a lot of
                responsibility for one person. In support of the interaction design
                work, they'll still need to work through somehow what the application
                should look and behave like. They'll need to model with cards, draw
                pictures on whiteboards, build and test paper prototypes. So, they
                still need to build something to contain all their own thoughts – even
                if it isn't powerpoint. That'll take time.

                And, if we encourage the planner to talk more over the whiteboard, and
                over their paper prototypes with the designers and developers, that's
                going to take lots of time.

                So, at the end of the day, we won't give the planners back any more
                time – they'll be spending as much or more, but we may reduce some
                significant risks of miscommunication caused by reliance on paper
                documents. In addition, I think people are ultimately happier when
                they can talk… but does this organization place value on "happy"? Do
                they perceive any pain caused by miscommunication?

                As far as a documentation mechanism goes, right now, I believe
                powerpoint works as well as anything. These days I spend more of my
                life than I want to admit building powerpoint storyboards. Part of
                the reason I prefer it over potentially other tools is that I can
                control the fidelity a little bit. By that I mean I can make very
                realistic UI when I think the situation demands it, or I can paste in
                and manipulate whiteboard photos when they're sufficient – and lots of
                points in between. The point is I control the fidelity. But, it
                doesn't seem like your planners are working with that "fidelity knob".
                Could they be? Would it save them time?

                What does come to mind is that the scale of the operation you describe
                indicates that building a healthy _community of interest_ is in order.
                By that I mean planners need to start regular collaboration with each
                other about how they do their job. They need to share techniques,
                document and share interaction patterns, basically have the
                opportunity to collaborate with each other about how to get better at
                what they do. Does this sort of opportunity for planner collaboration
                exist in the organization? If not, could it?

                Seems like planners could also work in small teams – dividing up work
                and building these prototypes faster. I've seen many organizations
                that have a design team that feeds and collaborates with development.
                Whether they believe they are or not, the BA teams we use at
                ThoughtWorks on projects function as a design team. They collaborate
                and take collective responsibility for the functionality of the
                software, the artefacts they hand to development, and the day to day
                communication with development. Could planners work in 2-3 person
                teams? Would that help them move faster?

                Now, the things that make me twitchy – problems I sense but problems
                you didn't express:

                How does the planner determine what was needed? How does he research
                and understand his users and their needs? How does he validate his
                solution is indeed a good one? Seems his life is so dominated by
                building powerpoints to keep the project running that he may have
                little time to determine if the resulting product is going to be a
                good one. That scares me. Issues there would manifest themselves as
                projects being completed on time, but end users and customers not
                liking what was built. Does that happen?

                I'm twitchy about how little the planners seem to collaborate with
                anyone on what they doe – end users, developers, each other. I'm
                always suspicious of solutions arrived at by individuals working in
                isolation with little context on which to solve their problems.

                What do you mean by designers? [or did you say and I missed it?]
                Are they designing the inside of the system – the architecture-y stuff
                – or the outside if the system – the visual and interaction design?
                My guess is the former – not the latter. If that's the case, based on
                what I'm hearing as constrained collaboration between them and
                developers, I suspect problems come out of that too.

                Finally, the last piece of advice I could give is think about how
                things would look if they were better. What would things look like if
                problems were solved? Then given that mental picture of the solution,
                what's the first tangible thing you can do/change you can make to move
                towards it?

                In the future do planners simply spend less time doing powerpoint work
                because they have a cool prototyping tool? This brings me back to one
                of the first things I asked – what really is the problem here? Is
                this really about saving the labour costs/time spent by the planners?
                No offence to the planners – but who cares? If you saved them 25% of
                their time, would that be significant to the company you work for?
                Might the company them be tempted to fire 25% of the planners? The
                net result being that their life really isn't any better. Look deeper
                to what the problem really is here. Does it take to long to build
                product? Is the product quality low? Is it too expense to build
                products vs. your competition – do you need to reduce costs overall?
                Where is the pain coming from?

                Hope that give you some more things to think about – and potentially
                some more questions to ask.

                Thanks for posting this here to make the discussion public.

                -Jeff

                Message 7 of 26 , May 10, 2006
                  --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...> wrote:

                  > On 8 May 2006, at 21:25, Ron Jeffries wrote:
                  > [snip]
                  > > Who knows ... STANDARD_BUTTON_WIDTH, BIG_BUTTON_HEIGHT, ALERT_COLOR,
                  > > ... anything to abstract out the ideas that the designers are
                  > > developing, so that when they decide that pink letters on an orange
                  > > background aren't so good after all, we can just tweak a couple
                  > > values and rebuild.
                  > [snip]
                  >
                  > Seconded. Getting the UI abstractions into the code makes things much
                  > easier all round.

                  Ditto!

                  There's been lots of talk about how you can't refactor UI. By that
                  developers mean that refactoring UI code is hard. Well I suppose it
                  is - but it's extra hard to refactor code when the concepts in the UI
                  aren't reflected in the code. I've found that when the UI concepts
                  arrive in the code as first class objects, changing details about
                  those concepts is easier. By that I mean changing/refactoring the UI.

                  Throwing anything over a wall injects risk into a project. UI to
                  developers is just another wall.

                  [Live from London]
                  -Jeff
                • Jared M. Spool
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 10, 2006

                    At 08:03 AM 5/10/2006, Adrian Howard wrote:

                    >Seconded. Getting the UI abstractions into the code makes things much
                    >easier all round.
                    >
                    >As an aside this is one of the problems with people still working in
                    >a "throw the UI specs over the wall to the developer" mode. When
                    >developers are presented with a bunch of user journeys, wireframes,
                    >etc. without the UX person around to explain /why/ things have been
                    >done in such-and-such a way you don't notice the abstractions, so
                    >they don't make it into the code, so they get mucked about when the
                    >inevitable changes arrive....

                    Dare I make the "Patterns" war cry again?

                    Jared

                    510 Turnpike Street, Suite 102, North Andover, MA 01845
                    978 327-5561 jspool@... http://www.uie.com
                    Blog: http://www.uie.com/brainsparks
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 10, 2006
                      On 10 May 2006, at 14:05, Jeff Patton wrote:
                      [snip]
                      > There's been lots of talk about how you can't refactor UI. By that
                      > developers mean that refactoring UI code is hard. Well I suppose it
                      > is - but it's extra hard to refactor code when the concepts in the UI
                      > aren't reflected in the code. I've found that when the UI concepts
                      > arrive in the code as first class objects, changing details about
                      > those concepts is easier. By that I mean changing/refactoring the UI.
                      [snip]

                      I'm pleasantly surprised how many XP "coding" practices fall nicely
                      into place when you take the UI into account. I rambled about this a
                      little last year (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agile-usability/
                      message/1373).

                      Message 10 of 26 , May 10, 2006
                        On 10 May 2006, at 14:35, Jared M. Spool wrote:
                        [snip]
                        > At 08:03 AM 5/10/2006, Adrian Howard wrote:
                        [snip]
                        >> As an aside this is one of the problems with people still working in
                        >> a "throw the UI specs over the wall to the developer" mode. When
                        >> developers are presented with a bunch of user journeys, wireframes,
                        >> etc. without the UX person around to explain /why/ things have been
                        >> done in such-and-such a way you don't notice the abstractions, so
                        >> they don't make it into the code, so they get mucked about when the
                        >> inevitable changes arrive....
                        >
                        > Dare I make the "Patterns" war cry again?

                        I'm thinking more of application-specific UI abstractions - and they
                        don't seem to fit under the pattern banner to me.... am I wrong?

                        Adrian
                      • Jared M. Spool
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 10, 2006
                          At 09:59 AM 5/10/2006, Adrian Howard wrote:

                          > > At 08:03 AM 5/10/2006, Adrian Howard wrote:
                          >[snip]
                          > >> As an aside this is one of the problems with people still working in
                          > >> a "throw the UI specs over the wall to the developer" mode. When
                          > >> developers are presented with a bunch of user journeys, wireframes,
                          > >> etc. without the UX person around to explain /why/ things have been
                          > >> done in such-and-such a way you don't notice the abstractions, so
                          > >> they don't make it into the code, so they get mucked about when the
                          > >> inevitable changes arrive....
                          > >
                          >On 10 May 2006, at 14:35, Jared M. Spool wrote:
                          > > Dare I make the "Patterns" war cry again?
                          >
                          >I'm thinking more of application-specific UI abstractions - and they
                          >don't seem to fit under the pattern banner to me.... am I wrong?

                          I think UI patterns could work in an application-specific manner. They take
                          the abstractions you are talking about and add other descriptive
                          components, such as the context of use, history, and other required patterns.

                          I'm thinking by making your patterns align with the UI abstractions, you
                          get more mileage for not much more effort.

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 11, 2006
                            On 10 May 2006, at 17:16, Jared M. Spool wrote:

                            > At 09:59 AM 5/10/2006, Adrian Howard wrote:
                            [snip]
                            >> I'm thinking more of application-specific UI abstractions - and they
                            >> don't seem to fit under the pattern banner to me.... am I wrong?
                            >
                            > I think UI patterns could work in an application-specific manner.
                            > They take
                            > the abstractions you are talking about and add other descriptive
                            > components, such as the context of use, history, and other required
                            > patterns.
                            >
                            > I'm thinking by making your patterns align with the UI
                            > abstractions, you
                            > get more mileage for not much more effort.

                            Oh yes, I quite agree. It's more a question of nomenclature. Once you
                            add a bunch of application specific detail to them is it really right
                            to carry on calling them patterns? Haven't they then lost the generic
                            nature that the name implies?

                            Adrian
                          • June Kim
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 11, 2006
                              2006/5/10, Jeff Patton <jpatton@...>:
                              > <warning - long response>
                              > June,
                              >
                              > Sorry I didn't get back to you right away. I'm sure you understand

                              That's OK. I really appreciate your long and detailed response.

                              > how non-trivial the situation you describe is – and potentially how
                              > risky that makes giving advice. But, although I've hesitated, I won't
                              > let it stop me.
                              >
                              > The pain point or problem I hear you wanting to solve is the large
                              > amount of time planners spend crafting this communication artefact to
                              > designers and developers – so I'll talk about that first. Of course
                              > if you take a hard agile line with all this, you'd do everything you
                              > could to avoid the written communication. You do that by seating the
                              > teams close together, by encouraging them to talk over a whiteboard
                              > whenever possible.
                              >
                              > But, this doesn't solve everything.
                              >
                              > The planner seems to be performing the role of an interaction designer
                              > [they invent what needs to be built and document the user interaction
                              > and what I think is the visual design]. Concurrently they perform the
                              > role of project manager. Sounds tough. Sounds like a lot of

                              They initially devise and propose the core idea of the service. They
                              do strategic planning for the web service also; thinking about the
                              positions of the web service in the company's whole web services
                              portfolio, SWOT analysis, benchmarking other rival services, sometimes
                              coming up with marketing plan and etc. And usually there is a process
                              that the planner should do the presentation in front of executives to
                              persuade them into allowing the service.

                              > responsibility for one person. In support of the interaction design
                              > work, they'll still need to work through somehow what the application
                              > should look and behave like. They'll need to model with cards, draw
                              > pictures on whiteboards, build and test paper prototypes. So, they
                              > still need to build something to contain all their own thoughts – even
                              > if it isn't powerpoint. That'll take time.
                              >
                              > And, if we encourage the planner to talk more over the whiteboard, and
                              > over their paper prototypes with the designers and developers, that's
                              > going to take lots of time.
                              >
                              > So, at the end of the day, we won't give the planners back any more
                              > time – they'll be spending as much or more, but we may reduce some
                              > significant risks of miscommunication caused by reliance on paper
                              > documents. In addition, I think people are ultimately happier when
                              > they can talk… but does this organization place value on "happy"? Do
                              > they perceive any pain caused by miscommunication?
                              >
                              > As far as a documentation mechanism goes, right now, I believe
                              > powerpoint works as well as anything. These days I spend more of my
                              > life than I want to admit building powerpoint storyboards. Part of
                              > the reason I prefer it over potentially other tools is that I can
                              > control the fidelity a little bit. By that I mean I can make very
                              > realistic UI when I think the situation demands it, or I can paste in
                              > and manipulate whiteboard photos when they're sufficient – and lots of
                              > points in between. The point is I control the fidelity. But, it
                              > doesn't seem like your planners are working with that "fidelity knob".
                              > Could they be? Would it save them time?

                              Enlightening! I never thought I could lower the fidelity in the
                              power-point. Of course, we could even use varying levels of fidelity
                              in a same power-point file, depending on the significance and needs.

                              I did some instruction on paper prototyping to a few teams(developer
                              teams and planner teams), and they were very interested in the
                              technique and Guindon's idea of opportunistic design(top-down and
                              bottom-up).

                              I totally agree that fidelity knob is very important. Thanks for
                              pointing this out.

                              > What does come to mind is that the scale of the operation you describe
                              > indicates that building a healthy _community of interest_ is in order.
                              > By that I mean planners need to start regular collaboration with each
                              > other about how they do their job. They need to share techniques,
                              > document and share interaction patterns, basically have the
                              > opportunity to collaborate with each other about how to get better at
                              > what they do. Does this sort of opportunity for planner collaboration
                              > exist in the organization? If not, could it?

                              I am trying to nudge in. With a few teams, I came to the point where
                              the planner team and developer team became willing to collaborate
                              (like agile planning) but still the designer dept is the problem.
                              There is a political issue, and a mentality issue.

                              > Seems like planners could also work in small teams – dividing up work
                              > and building these prototypes faster. I've seen many organizations
                              > that have a design team that feeds and collaborates with development.
                              > Whether they believe they are or not, the BA teams we use at

                              What are the BA teams?

                              > ThoughtWorks on projects function as a design team. They collaborate
                              > and take collective responsibility for the functionality of the
                              > software, the artefacts they hand to development, and the day to day
                              > communication with development. Could planners work in 2-3 person
                              > teams? Would that help them move faster?

                              They could in some fortunate teams, and it would make them move
                              faster. But there are planner teams that take responsibility for
                              almost 100 services(24 x 7) with 10 people, each one serving 10
                              services. They make a new event for their services, plan renewal ,
                              resolve customer dissatisfaction and etc. For such a team, that kind
                              of move might not be feasible, well, in the shorter term

                              > Now, the things that make me twitchy – problems I sense but problems
                              > you didn't express:
                              >
                              > How does the planner determine what was needed? How does he research
                              > and understand his users and their needs? How does he validate his
                              > solution is indeed a good one? Seems his life is so dominated by
                              > building powerpoints to keep the project running that he may have
                              > little time to determine if the resulting product is going to be a
                              > good one. That scares me. Issues there would manifest themselves as
                              > projects being completed on time, but end users and customers not
                              > liking what was built. Does that happen?

                              I would say yes. I think they do mostly speculative researches.
                              Conceptual design?

                              > I'm twitchy about how little the planners seem to collaborate with
                              > anyone on what they doe – end users, developers, each other. I'm
                              > always suspicious of solutions arrived at by individuals working in
                              > isolation with little context on which to solve their problems.
                              >
                              > What do you mean by designers? [or did you say and I missed it?]

                              They are graphic designers. Planners plan the service, developers
                              implement the "blue-print" and designers do all the artistic parts,
                              like drawing jpg images, choosing specific colors for buttons, and
                              even coding html. They have not much room to consider usability,
                              information architecture, and all the luxury, but they are always
                              concerned about aesthetics, I guess.

                              Oh, the mentality problem I mentioned above, is that they are worried
                              if their desiging skill would lag or even deteriorate when they join
                              to become a whole team with developers and planners. They are some
                              designers who belong to a task force (with developers and planners in
                              the same room) but their pride is very low and they consider they are
                              there because their design skill is not professional enough. They want
                              to be with their kinds. They want to form a professional group.

                              > Are they designing the inside of the system – the architecture-y stuff
                              > – or the outside if the system – the visual and interaction design?

                              Outside.

                              > My guess is the former – not the latter. If that's the case, based on
                              > what I'm hearing as constrained collaboration between them and
                              > developers, I suspect problems come out of that too.
                              >
                              > Finally, the last piece of advice I could give is think about how
                              > things would look if they were better. What would things look like if
                              > problems were solved? Then given that mental picture of the solution,
                              > what's the first tangible thing you can do/change you can make to move
                              > towards it?
                              >
                              > In the future do planners simply spend less time doing powerpoint work
                              > because they have a cool prototyping tool? This brings me back to one
                              > of the first things I asked – what really is the problem here? Is
                              > this really about saving the labour costs/time spent by the planners?
                              > No offence to the planners – but who cares? If you saved them 25% of
                              > their time, would that be significant to the company you work for?
                              > Might the company them be tempted to fire 25% of the planners? The
                              > net result being that their life really isn't any better. Look deeper
                              > to what the problem really is here. Does it take to long to build
                              > product? Is the product quality low? Is it too expense to build
                              > products vs. your competition – do you need to reduce costs overall?
                              > Where is the pain coming from?

                              These are good questions.

                              I started coaching a new team with developers and planners (haven't
                              yet figured out to have the designer participate, and they are
                              thinking about working without a designer as far as they can get --
                              they think the political problem is too difficult to solve) and their
                              morale is very high. The team is working very agile using agile
                              usability techniques.

                              The problem is other teams.

                              > Hope that give you some more things to think about – and potentially
                              > some more questions to ask.

                              Thank you. I will keep in my mind those questions and report the result later.

                              > Thanks for posting this here to make the discussion public.

                              Your welcome. Thank you again for your response.

                              June

                              > -Jeff
                              >
                              > --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "June Kim" <juneaftn@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Following is email I sent to Jeff but I suppose it didn't make it to
                              > > him. I think it would be better to post it to a larger audience and
                              > > ask for help.

                            • Jared M. Spool
                              Message 14 of 26 , May 11, 2006
                                At 06:41 AM 5/11/2006, Adrian Howard wrote:
                                >Oh yes, I quite agree. It's more a question of nomenclature. Once you
                                >add a bunch of application specific detail to them is it really right
                                >to carry on calling them patterns? Haven't they then lost the generic
                                >nature that the name implies?

                                I guess I was thinking about large applications, where design elements
                                (such as date input or user login) may repeat themselves multiple times in
                                a variety of contexts. I would think patterns would be ideal in this scenario.

                                I agree that for small applications, it's probably overkill. But for a
                                suite of small applications, it could be useful.