Job: Looking for Agile Design Coaches at Yahoo!

  • Joe Arnold
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2006

      Title: Senior Agile Coach

      Hi! I’m Joe Arnold, an Agile Coach at Yahoo! The Agile Group is looking for more people to help roll-out Agile software development practices at Yahoo!

      We’re looking for user-centered designers and design managers who have worked with iterative and incremental processes.

      This is a great opportunity to introduce Agile practices to some very smart, motivated teams. We’re looking for talented people with excellent communication skills to be part of our growing team within Yahoo!

      The Agile Group is part of the Chief Product Office at Yahoo! This is a small team charged with spearheading the company's product planning, innovation and growth worldwide. The group is a key driver of Yahoo!'s global product strategy, and is closely involved in all aspects of Yahoo!'s product development efforts. This position is an opportunity to join a small and fast-paced team with in-depth involvement in some of the most innovative and influential products online today.

      You will work closely with the Director of Agile Product Development in the following areas:

      Training:

      Conduct classes to educate cross-functional teams on the values of user-centered design and how to incorporate them into Agile development practices. You should feel comfortable engaging groups at all levels including senior management.

      Team Coaching:

      Help teams adopt Agile practices through hands-on coaching. Contribute your knowledge and experience by working with teams to resolve conflicts and suggest process improvements. You will work closely with product teams including product managers, engineers, designers and QA, to ensure the consistent and effective application of the Yahoo! Agile development process. You will maintain ongoing relationships with the teams to provide process support. You should be comfortable interfacing with people at all levels in the organization. Great people skills are needed to listen and advise in a supportive way.

      Compile Yahoo! Best Practices:

      User experience & design and Agile processes are evolving and you will be on the cutting edge of their integration. During the course of coaching teams, you will be compiling best practices to share with other Agile teams. You will be proactive about discovering new tools and methods to improve teams. You will be attending conferences to learn new techniques to bring back to Yahoo!

      Education, Skills, Experience:

      You must have experience leading the design on products using iterative and incremental techniques. Ideally, you have been working with a team employing Agile / Lean software development practices such as Scrum or XP (Extreme Programming).

      You should have at least 5 years experience in the development of Internet and / or software products, should have excellent organizational skills, good documentation and analytical skills, strong written / oral communication skills and people skills.

      A degree in design is not required, but a solid experience of user-centered design for the internet and / or software is required. Experience in managing designers and projects is a plus.

      The position is based in Sunnyvale , CA . (Yahoo! provides some commute options from San Francisco !) Some travel may be required.

      How to Apply:

      Please submit a resume with a cover letter to me directly at jarnold@... referencing job # RX1000014709.

      --

      Joe Arnold / Senior Agile Coach, Yahoo!

      jarnold@... / Yahoo ID: joe.arnold

    • Joe Arnold
      Message 2 of 2 , May 19, 2006

        Position: Senior Agile Coach

        Hi! I’m Joe Arnold an Agile Coach at Yahoo! The Agile Group is looking for more people to help roll-out Agile software development practices at Yahoo!

        We’re looking for engineering managers, program managers or product managers who have led successful projects using Agile development practices.

        This is a great opportunity to introduce Agile practices to some very smart, motivated teams. We’re looking for talented people with excellent communication skills to be part of our growing team within Yahoo!

        The Agile Group is part of the Chief Product Office at Yahoo! This is a small team charged with spearheading the company's product planning, innovation and growth worldwide. The group is a key driver of Yahoo!'s global product strategy, and is closely involved in all aspects of Yahoo!'s product development efforts. This position is an opportunity to join a small and fast-paced team with in-depth involvement in some of the most innovative and influential products online today.

        You will work closely with the Director of Agile Product Development in the following areas:

        Training:

        Conduct classes to educate product managers, designers and engineers on the values of Agile practices and the mechanics of their adoption. You should feel comfortable engaging groups of people and explaining how the agile practices work.

        Team Coaching:

        Help teams adopt Agile practices with hands-on coaching. Contribute your knowledge and experience by working with teams to resolve conflicts and suggest process improvements. Great people skills are needed to listen and advise in a supportive way. You will work closely with product teams to ensure the consistent and effective application of the Yahoo! Agile development process. You will maintain ongoing relationships with the teams to provide process support. You should be comfortable interfacing with people at all levels in the organization.

        Compile Yahoo! Best Practices:

        This position offers a great opportunity to find areas that we can improve upon, work with teams to gather feedback and build best practices that we can teach new teams. You will be proactive at spotting opportunities and gaps within our current program to make improvements. You will be gathering artifacts and examples from internal teams to create useful templates and instructions to contribute to the Yahoo! Agile Wiki.

        Education, Skills, Experience:

        You must have at least one year of hands-on Agile experience and have a deep knowledge Agile / Lean software development, XP practices and Scrum.

        You should have at least 5 years experience in the development of Internet and / or software products, should have excellent organizational skills, good documentation and analytical skills, strong written / oral communication skills and people skills.

        A degree in a technical field is not required, but a solid understanding in software engineering and product development is required.