RE: [agile-usability] Re: user scenario writing - good references?

  • Joshua Seiden
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 11 5:28 PM
      Message
      I like this Frederik. This reads very much like the natural dialog you hear when a design team uses personas as actors within a scenario.

      A couple of points:

      First, Larry asked how a designer would use this. For me the evocations provide instant feedback about the goals, and instant direction about how to service them. For example, it seems obvious that something is wrong with the goal/task "calculate price" based on the evocation, "Ouch. This is going to take a while." This negative reaction tells me that there's a mismatch between the goal/task as modeled and the persona's goal.

      Where's the mismatch? That's where you turn to the goals you've defined for the persona, but perhaps this goal "calculate price" matches neither the (hypothetical) experience goal "I want this to be quick and painless" nor the (hypothetical) end goal--"Insure car". Instead, it's a machine-feeding activity that the persona would avoid if he/she could. Of course, it may not be possible to avoid this task, but at least we now have an awareness that avoiding this step or making it shorter will provide a better experience.

      Seond, I'm glad you represented the "evocations" as belonging to a persona. I think it would be important to always use them that way. The evocations themselves feel very granular, which makes them suspect unless they can be shown to be part of a pattern. It's the persona that represents the pattern (of goals, behavior, needs, feelings, etc.)

      JS