Re: incremental design -vs- overall user experience

    Message 1 of 38 , Jul 14, 2004
      --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "helen johnstone"
      <hjohnstone@b...> wrote:

      > > An effective way around this problem is to draft a navigation
      > > architecture (screen flow) in advance based on provisional
      > > understanding of user roles and tasks in the application.
      >
      > This is what I've been using for a while.

      I'm seeing a pattern in this post, and Brian O'Byrne's subsequent
      post: that is a big picture showing the system navigation is pretty
      valuable for detecting and helping to solve these sorts of
      problems.

      If I recognize that, I'm tempted to build that picture big, as a
      poster, and hang it in a visible place where the development team
      and customer team can see it. As the product evolves, I'd keep that
      picture updated. So it's not too tough to update, I might do it on
      poster paper with 3x5 cards and tape - or sticky post-it notes. I
      could see building this model as a collaborative group activity - so
      it wasn't a burden to one interaction designer, and so that others
      on the team "ingested" the information in the picture faster than
      they would by just looking at it.

      An earlier post asked where usability/interaction design stuff goes
      in agile process. /My/ opinion is that it's a cross-cutting-
      concern - it goes everywhere. It's a layer of what we're doing.
      certainly there are places in the process where more emphasis and
      expertise is more valuable. But if a big picture of the navigation
      architecture is a usability technique, I see that technique as being
      valuable most of the time through the life of the product.

      I'd consider the role of a usability person on an agile project as a
      teaching/coaching role. In regards to this technique, I'd see the
      usability person leading the work-session to build this navigation
      model. I'd see them coaching people on a day to day basis on using
      the model and seeing how the work they're doing today fits into the
      model. This integrates the usability person into the team rather
      them leaving them in their own silo of expertise. This gives
      everyone working on the software a foundational understanding of
      what the usability person does and can give guidance in doing.

      Lastly, I don't think a usability person is a necessary role on an
      agile team. I think the _work they do_ is necessary. And,
      depending on it's criticality to the project, there could be an
      expert on the team, or the work could be understood and shared among
      members of the team.

      thanks,

      -Jeff (P)
    • katharina9267
      Message 38 of 38 , May 30, 2007
        Larry,

        This is without a doubt an issue that I came across in my experience
        as a usability manager.

        Do you suggest that this work should be done in iteration 0 using the
        agile methodology? This seems to be increasingly a recommendation in
        a number of white papers and publications such as Scott Ambler.
        However, when you say 'minimal effort' how does this translate into
        time scales - is there an average that you work with in your
        experience let's say 1-2 weeks?

        I also appreciate, if you could forward the pdfs on the collaborative
        UI review method that you mentioned in a previous message.
        Many thanks,
        Katharina

        --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Constantine"
        <lconstantine@...> wrote:

        > Jeff,
        >
        > An effective way around this problem is to draft a navigation
        architecture
        > (screen flow) in advance based on provisional understanding of user
        roles
        > and tasks in the application. This architecture gives a reasonably
        well
        > thought out framework on which to hang the features and functions
        as they
        > arise "organically." The navigation architecture is itself reviewed
        and
        > refactored as needed as the details of the application emerge. This
        approach
        > is what I describe as "architecture-first development" in the new
        Cutter