Recruiting participants

  • swobben
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2006
      Recruiting participants for a user test can be pretty time-consuming.
      If you want to many small tests in an iterative cycle development
      proces it can be a strain on the timescope of the project. What do you
      do to quickly recruit participants? Mayb we can share best practices.
    • Nacho Facello
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2006
        Ask your mom. No, seriously, if you take everybody's mother, girlfriend, father, small brother, you can have a lot of testers.

        On 06/04/06, swobben < stefan@...> wrote:
        Recruiting participants for a user test can be pretty time-consuming.
        If you want to many small tests in an iterative cycle development
        proces it can be a strain on the timescope of the project. What do you
        do to quickly recruit participants? Mayb we can share best practices.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        Nacho Facello
      • Darren
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2006
          Hi Nacho,

          We experienced the same problem on our project... However, we are
          fortunate that we work on the intranet, and hence our users are our
          staff.. and they are not difficult to get a regular commitment to for
          testing.. However, upon further reflection, I question whether we
          need to perform usability testing at every iteration. Sure, you will
          always derive learnings from each test to improve the next iteration,
          however, do the benefits outweigh the time taken to organise the
          sessions etc.. This is something you need to evaluate yourself. Is
          there enough functionality present on the UI (in early iterations)to
          provide users with sufficient context?

          As others have suggested on the forum, you need to ensure you do not
          rely only on usability testing.. write scenarios, create personas..
          go out and perform contextual enquiries.. Perhaps you may want to
          perform usability testing only at major milestones, (maybe after 2
          iterations).

          Regards,
          Darren

          --- In agile-usability@yahoogroups.com, "Nacho Facello"