Re: [agile-usability] looking for the name of a visual design technique

  • Bruce Tsuji
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2006
      In psychology this is called the method of paired comparisons. If you
      have 20 things to compare, you take every possible pair of items and
      ask for a judgment. See
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paired_comparisons

      Best regards,

      -Bruce Tsuji.

      On 4/6/06, Larry Constantine <lconstantine@...> wrote:

      > Jeff wrote:
      >
      > > And, I think it's sort of the same thing my optometrist does when I'm
      > > getting a new lense prescription: "Is A clearer, or is B clearer? A
      > > or B.... A or B."
      > >
      > > Basically when differences are slight, it's hard to detect the
      > > "quality" of the difference without oscillating between both options.
      > >
      > > This seems like a common technique that there has to be a name for -
      > > and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is.
      > >
      > > What's the name of this technique? Does anyone know an optometrist?
      >
      > Engineers sometimes refer to this technique as "A-B-ing" but I have also
      > heard the term used to refer to side-by-side comparison of two
      > approaches--another design operation I often use.
      >
      > --Larry Constantine, IDSA
      >

      > Jeff wrote:
      >
      > > And, I think it's sort of the same thing my optometrist does when I'm
      > > getting a new lense prescription: "Is A clearer, or is B clearer? A
      > > or B.... A or B."
      > >
      > > Basically when differences are slight, it's hard to detect the
      > > "quality" of the difference without oscillating between both options.
      > >
      > > This seems like a common technique that there has to be a name for -
      > > and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is.
      > >
      > > What's the name of this technique? Does anyone know an optometrist?
      >
      > Engineers sometimes refer to this technique as "A-B-ing" but I have also
      > heard the term used to refer to side-by-side comparison of two
      > approaches--another design operation I often use.
      >
      > --Larry Constantine, IDSA

      > ________________________________

    • Phlip
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2006
        Jeff Patton wrote:

        > When working on fine grain visual design changes I find that I'll make
        > a change then have to flip back to the way it was before the change
        > to really understand the impact - and then back to the change again.
        > Basically the way to best see the change is by seeing the screen
        > without the change then as quickly as possible with the change.
        >
        > The same thing happens with ctrl-z in Photoshop - it toggles between
        > undo and redo to let you flip back and forth between a change you just
        > made. Now that I know what that feature is for, I find it handy.

        That's called "blink comparator", and astronomers used it to find
        stars & planets, back in the days of big negatives.

        --
        Phlip
        http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2006