RE: [agile-usability] looking for the name of a visual design technique

  • Sue Heim
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5 5:02 PM
      I use layers in PhotoShop to do basically the same thing. You can turn a
      layer on and off, to see if you like whatever it is.

      But as to the name of the toggling feature, nope. No idea. This one? That
      one? Can you hear me now? :)

      ...sue

      >From: "Jeff Patton" <jpatton@...>
      >To: agile-usability@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [agile-usability] looking for the name of a visual design
      >technique
      >Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 23:37:23 -0000
      >
      >When working on fine grain visual design changes I find that I'll make
      >a change then have to flip back to the way it was before the change
      >to really understand the impact - and then back to the change again.
      >Basically the way to best see the change is by seeing the screen
      >without the change then as quickly as possible with the change.
      >
      >The same thing happens with ctrl-z in Photoshop - it toggles between
      >undo and redo to let you flip back and forth between a change you just
      >made. Now that I know what that feature is for, I find it handy.
      >
      >And, I think it's sort of the same thing my optometrist does when I'm
      >getting a new lense prescription: "Is A clearer, or is B clearer? A
      >or B.... A or B."
      >
      >Basically when differences are slight, it's hard to detect the
      >"quality" of the difference without oscillating between both options.
      >
      >This seems like a common technique that there has to be a name for -
      >and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is.
      >
      >Finally, part of the reason I ask is because I hit lots of these sorts
      >of decision points daily. Points where I really can't tell the
      >difference between one decision and another without comparing the
      >outcome of each quickly.
      >
      >What's the name of this technique? Does anyone know an optometrist?
      >
      >thanks,
      >
      >-Jeff
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Larry Constantine
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6 1:09 AM
        Jeff wrote:

        > And, I think it's sort of the same thing my optometrist does when I'm
        > getting a new lense prescription: "Is A clearer, or is B clearer? A
        > or B.... A or B."
        >
        > Basically when differences are slight, it's hard to detect the
        > "quality" of the difference without oscillating between both options.
        >
        > This seems like a common technique that there has to be a name for -
        > and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is.
        >
        > What's the name of this technique? Does anyone know an optometrist?

        Engineers sometimes refer to this technique as "A-B-ing" but I have also
        heard the term used to refer to side-by-side comparison of two
        approaches--another design operation I often use.

        --Larry Constantine, IDSA
      • Bruce Tsuji
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6 7:02 AM
          In psychology this is called the method of paired comparisons. If you
          have 20 things to compare, you take every possible pair of items and
          ask for a judgment. See
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paired_comparisons

          Best regards,

          -Bruce Tsuji.

          On 4/6/06, Larry Constantine <lconstantine@...> wrote:

          > Jeff wrote:
          >
          > > And, I think it's sort of the same thing my optometrist does when I'm
          > > getting a new lense prescription: "Is A clearer, or is B clearer? A
          > > or B.... A or B."
          > >
          > > Basically when differences are slight, it's hard to detect the
          > > "quality" of the difference without oscillating between both options.
          > >
          > > This seems like a common technique that there has to be a name for -
          > > and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is.
          > >
          > > What's the name of this technique? Does anyone know an optometrist?
          >
          > Engineers sometimes refer to this technique as "A-B-ing" but I have also
          > heard the term used to refer to side-by-side comparison of two
          > approaches--another design operation I often use.
          >
          > --Larry Constantine, IDSA
          >

          > Jeff wrote:
          >
          > > And, I think it's sort of the same thing my optometrist does when I'm
          > > getting a new lense prescription: "Is A clearer, or is B clearer? A
          > > or B.... A or B."
          > >
          > > Basically when differences are slight, it's hard to detect the
          > > "quality" of the difference without oscillating between both options.
          > >
          > > This seems like a common technique that there has to be a name for -
          > > and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is.
          > >
          > > What's the name of this technique? Does anyone know an optometrist?
          >
          > Engineers sometimes refer to this technique as "A-B-ing" but I have also
          > heard the term used to refer to side-by-side comparison of two
          > approaches--another design operation I often use.
          >
          > --Larry Constantine, IDSA

          > ________________________________

        • Jade Ohlhauser
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6 7:58 AM
            I think it's called a "subjective refraction" test. That device you look through during the test is called a phoropter.

            Sorry, that's not a very cool name. Tell you what, you can call it a "Jade's Test" if you like.

            Jade Ohlhauser
            Product Manager
            RPM Software
            www.rpmsoftware.com 403-265-6727

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6 11:06 AM
              Jeff Patton wrote:

              > When working on fine grain visual design changes I find that I'll make
              > a change then have to flip back to the way it was before the change
              > to really understand the impact - and then back to the change again.
              > Basically the way to best see the change is by seeing the screen
              > without the change then as quickly as possible with the change.
              >
              > The same thing happens with ctrl-z in Photoshop - it toggles between
              > undo and redo to let you flip back and forth between a change you just
              > made. Now that I know what that feature is for, I find it handy.

              That's called "blink comparator", and astronomers used it to find
              stars & planets, back in the days of big negatives.

              --
              Phlip
              http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6 11:20 AM