Re: [agile-usability] looking for the name of a visual design technique

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
      Jeff Patton wrote:
      > Basically when differences are slight, it's hard to detect the
      > "quality" of the difference without oscillating between both options.
      >
      > This seems like a common technique that there has to be a name for -
      > and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is.

      I don't know what designers call it, but I know astronomers make use of
      a device called a blink comparator:

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_comparator

      William
    • Sue Heim
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 2006
        I use layers in PhotoShop to do basically the same thing. You can turn a
        layer on and off, to see if you like whatever it is.

        But as to the name of the toggling feature, nope. No idea. This one? That
        one? Can you hear me now? :)

        ...sue

        >From: "Jeff Patton" <jpatton@...>
        >To: agile-usability@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [agile-usability] looking for the name of a visual design
        >technique
        >Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 23:37:23 -0000
        >
        >When working on fine grain visual design changes I find that I'll make
        >a change then have to flip back to the way it was before the change
        >to really understand the impact - and then back to the change again.
        >Basically the way to best see the change is by seeing the screen
        >without the change then as quickly as possible with the change.
        >
        >The same thing happens with ctrl-z in Photoshop - it toggles between
        >undo and redo to let you flip back and forth between a change you just
        >made. Now that I know what that feature is for, I find it handy.
        >
        >And, I think it's sort of the same thing my optometrist does when I'm
        >getting a new lense prescription: "Is A clearer, or is B clearer? A
        >or B.... A or B."
        >
        >Basically when differences are slight, it's hard to detect the
        >"quality" of the difference without oscillating between both options.
        >
        >This seems like a common technique that there has to be a name for -
        >and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is.
        >
        >Finally, part of the reason I ask is because I hit lots of these sorts
        >of decision points daily. Points where I really can't tell the
        >difference between one decision and another without comparing the
        >outcome of each quickly.
        >
        >What's the name of this technique? Does anyone know an optometrist?
        >
        >thanks,
        >
        >-Jeff
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Larry Constantine
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2006
          Jeff wrote:

          > And, I think it's sort of the same thing my optometrist does when I'm
          > getting a new lense prescription: "Is A clearer, or is B clearer? A
          > or B.... A or B."
          >
          > Basically when differences are slight, it's hard to detect the
          > "quality" of the difference without oscillating between both options.
          >
          > This seems like a common technique that there has to be a name for -
          > and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is.
          >
          > What's the name of this technique? Does anyone know an optometrist?

          Engineers sometimes refer to this technique as "A-B-ing" but I have also
          heard the term used to refer to side-by-side comparison of two
          approaches--another design operation I often use.

          --Larry Constantine, IDSA
        • Bruce Tsuji
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2006
            In psychology this is called the method of paired comparisons. If you
            have 20 things to compare, you take every possible pair of items and
            ask for a judgment. See
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paired_comparisons

            Best regards,

            -Bruce Tsuji.

            On 4/6/06, Larry Constantine <lconstantine@...> wrote:

            > Jeff wrote:
            >
            > > And, I think it's sort of the same thing my optometrist does when I'm
            > > getting a new lense prescription: "Is A clearer, or is B clearer? A
            > > or B.... A or B."
            > >
            > > Basically when differences are slight, it's hard to detect the
            > > "quality" of the difference without oscillating between both options.
            > >
            > > This seems like a common technique that there has to be a name for -
            > > and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is.
            > >
            > > What's the name of this technique? Does anyone know an optometrist?
            >
            > Engineers sometimes refer to this technique as "A-B-ing" but I have also
            > heard the term used to refer to side-by-side comparison of two
            > approaches--another design operation I often use.
            >
            > --Larry Constantine, IDSA
            >

            > Jeff wrote:
            >
            > > And, I think it's sort of the same thing my optometrist does when I'm
            > > getting a new lense prescription: "Is A clearer, or is B clearer? A
            > > or B.... A or B."
            > >
            > > Basically when differences are slight, it's hard to detect the
            > > "quality" of the difference without oscillating between both options.
            > >
            > > This seems like a common technique that there has to be a name for -
            > > and I'm wondering if anyone knows what it is.
            > >
            > > What's the name of this technique? Does anyone know an optometrist?
            >
            > Engineers sometimes refer to this technique as "A-B-ing" but I have also
            > heard the term used to refer to side-by-side comparison of two
            > approaches--another design operation I often use.
            >
            > --Larry Constantine, IDSA

            > ________________________________

          • Jade Ohlhauser
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6, 2006
              I think it's called a "subjective refraction" test. That device you look through during the test is called a phoropter.

              Sorry, that's not a very cool name. Tell you what, you can call it a "Jade's Test" if you like.

              Jade Ohlhauser
              Product Manager
              RPM Software
              www.rpmsoftware.com 403-265-6727

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6, 2006
                Jeff Patton wrote:

                > When working on fine grain visual design changes I find that I'll make
                > a change then have to flip back to the way it was before the change
                > to really understand the impact - and then back to the change again.
                > Basically the way to best see the change is by seeing the screen
                > without the change then as quickly as possible with the change.
                >
                > The same thing happens with ctrl-z in Photoshop - it toggles between
                > undo and redo to let you flip back and forth between a change you just
                > made. Now that I know what that feature is for, I find it handy.

                That's called "blink comparator", and astronomers used it to find
                stars & planets, back in the days of big negatives.

                --
                Phlip
                http://www.greencheese.org/ZeekLand <-- NOT a blog!!
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 6, 2006