Re: [agile-usability] Virtual Agile Teams

  • Jon Kern
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 19, 2006
      one great tool to add to your list is the use of a dedicated IRC channel... and skype. for synchronous communication (assume you already have phone and IM).

      for asynchronous
          email lists
          email to individuals
          smth like JIRA to manage the iteration deliverables
             jot down the feature/user story, bug, or task ("issue")
             anyone adds comments (for example if it is unclear)
             only certain people can promote feature to being scheduled in a release
             use priority to control position in the stack (e.g., blockers appear at top)
             only certain people can close the feature
             track estimates and actuals
             see roadmap and progress at a glance

      i work with people in multiple continents this way.

      and yes, add some extra time for the fact that everyone is not in the same room. hopefully this is mitigated by using really talented people wherever they happen to be.
      -- jon

      William Pietri said the following on 3/19/2006 2:29 PM:
      Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > On Sunday, March 19, 2006, at 4:40:55 AM, Leina wrote:
      >

      >> I would like to hear from those who have experiences of being in a
      >> team where members (including customers)were dispersed geographically.
      >> [...] Can such a set-up work in agile development?
      >>

      > Agile practices help in such a situation, because it is focused on
      > concrete deliverables and rapid iterations.
      >
      > However, like a long-distance love affair, it's not easy, and
      > nowhere near as good as being together.

      That's a great way of putting it. I'm coaching two distributed agile
      teams now. The agile approach is definitely helping, and all concerned
      are happy enough. But the limited information flow means the team
      doesn't perform nearly as well as a collocated team.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 20, 2006
        Message
        You forgot a wiki. I find it incredibly useful for asynchronous communications with teammates (even when we are all co-located).

        Alain Désilets

        Ron Jeffries wrote:
        > On Sunday, March 19, 2006, at 4:40:55 AM, Leina wrote:
        >

        >> I would like to hear from those who have experiences of being in a
        >> team where members (including customers)were dispersed geographically.
        >> [...] Can such a set-up work in agile development?
        >>

        > Agile practices help in such a situation, because it is focused on
        > concrete deliverables and rapid iterations.
        >
        > However, like a long-distance love affair, it's not easy, and
        > nowhere near as good as being together.

        That's a great way of putting it. I'm coaching two distributed agile
        teams now. The agile approach is definitely helping, and all concerned
        are happy enough. But the limited information flow means the team
        doesn't perform nearly as well as a collocated team.

        William

      • Jade Ohlhauser
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 20, 2006
          I agree. Our wiki has proven to be one of those things that I now can't image developing without. I value it as much as source control and defect tracking.

          Jade Ohlhauser
          Product Manager
          RPM Software
          www.rpmsoftware.com 403-265-6727

          Usability testing <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Usability+testing&w1=Usability+testing&w2=Usability&w3=Agile+software+development&w4=Agile+development&c=4&s=93&.sig=Lq9LzHOR6YRi-lf0j4B6dw> Usability <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Usability&w1=Usability+testing&w2=Usability&w3=Agile+software+development&w4=Agile+development&c=4&s=93&.sig=PVbhEkH6SIuzHMpGgwL25w> Agile software development <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Agile+software+development&w1=Usability+testing&w2=Usability&w3=Agile+software+development&w4=Agile+development&c=4&s=93&.sig=JG8w5gzRWtYA_eGc8BIx7A>